Thursday 28 December 2006

I seem to remember someone telling me that Josef Koudelka would photograph all summer long and would spend the winter printing. Don’t know if this is true or more of the romantic myth of the wandering Koudelka, but I was impressed. It was a good model of a working method that would work for me after all in the shortened cold days of winter I wouldn’t feel light envy and thus cocooning myself in the darkroom would be fine.

It seems, though, that neither is much of a deterrent. In theory I think that it is cold outside but once out in it, it doesn’t seem so bad.

While it is a warmer than usual winter here, my wish to walk down Damen from Ravenswood to Wicker Park in he drizzle proved to me that cool drizzle wasn’t a reason to stop wandering.

Doing errands in Milwaukee and needing post Christmas exercise, we walked along the lake front and the East Side. Carol and I have different walking methods. I walk and gawk slowing down for things potentially strange, she walks for exercise meaning a moments hesitation on my part has her out of site in the distance. I usually end up slowing to look then running to catch up – if there is another thing to stop me – then slowing again only to run yet again.

Headed back the next day to buy conservation board at the Utrecht – which is more money than the Utrecht in Chicago – and make the snaps that I had missed the day before.

On the first I was over prepared with a scarf, gloves and something for my ears. The second knowing what to expect, the sweatshirt and gloves – my hands get cold quickly - was fine.

It was made clear to me again that I seem to function quite well between 0 and 5C – I should know this as when I head to school I would check my comfort level with the temperature gauge at Adams and Wacker. In fact it seems that it is about perfect to keep me moving but not to the extent that I have to race walk. Changing film is a problem due to my hands getting cold – been practicing with the 10x8 here in Peasants Pissoir making a snap a day with it - but otherwise I am fine.

This reinforcement of what I know comes as a relief as it is five days and counting until the return where it is –6C.

No comments: