Friday 4 April 2008


So I started to try to figure out when I stopped wandering before class, for there was a time - and light wise it is beginning to be that time again – when I would make this large arc on my way to the school. The walk was in the days when I could read The Guardian and Jornal do Brasil as newspapers and thus twice a week I would head up to Europa Books then over to Borders to buy them. I would get the Saturday Monday and Tuesday editions of The Guardian and the Sunday Editions Jornal do Brasil and the Independent. At 7:30 there would be just enough light streaming down the east west streets that depending on what side I was on it could increase depth and penetrate vitrines or completely blind me. The only nice aspect of the boring grid pattern of Chicago is that no matter how you go it is all the same distance, I would vary the route northeast to the bookshops then south to the school. Playing games at times I would choose the route by always going the direction of the green light other times trying to avoid all traffic signals. It was, however, and excuse to get out and gawk.

If for some reason I arrived earlier I would venture even farther north.

It was a good light for plastic camera snaps.

It also afforded me quiet time.

It did stop, though and I am not sure that it was due to the papers having on-line editions and thus not bothering to ship expensive paper across the ocean, I do remember there was a brief period when there was what looked like a photocopied version of The Guardian where new adverts would be placed to pay for the cost of the photocopying. It could have been in the autumn when a combination of the triumph of the new technologies coincided with leaving the station before the sun actually streamed down the streets.

Quiet time then was coffee on the steps outside until the cold forced me in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, it seems I read Monde Diplo way more when I could buy it and have the physical item to hold. I only occasionally read the articles now, even though they are all available online about a month after the print version.

rc-d said...

yeah i have rss feeds from newspapers and magazines from the four corners of the world and read less now than when i made the effort did the walk and bought them. back then i read them cover to cover - almost. and even though the online version of jornal do brasil even simulates turning pages i still don't read it as much. but then again with long posts - by long i mean puravida long - and e-mails i have to print them out to read them.

Anonymous said...

I can remember many disturbing mornings of walking to the photo building at school almost a half hour early for class and finding you already sitting outside on the steps. I would worry about how to slip by without you noticing, but you always were talking to people. Good for me. (I always brought a book just in case people wanted to talk to me.)

New Yorkers have been looking up of late, I have been reading mine almost all the way through. Perhaps that is because they keep having articles about film makers and such.

I doubt puravida long can compare with RC-D long when it comes right down to it.