Saturday 26 July 2008

IT BEGINS

The film – more than I need – is stacked. I have made eight or nine books. The last mailings before the departure have been made. The cameras and other sundries are ready. There is a last load of laundry.

Having picked up the Saturn that is used for long outings due to its outstanding gasoline mileage from Carol’s mum, I head down Roosevelt Road to fill up with some $3.83/gallon gasoline and pick up a New York Times. Even though it is a 95 model there is only 50 000 miles and is only used for outings like these. I took it to Bonne Bay in 2005.

The engine goes quiet and I notice lights on the dashboard blinking at me. Pull over and try to start the machine again.

And again.

Get out to find a pay phone so that I can call Carol and AAA. Walk down Roosevelt Road to 39th Avenue thinking that the garages or the Wendy’s will one. See a payphone sign at an abandoned BP station but no phone. Ask at the bars heading back up to the machine.

Try to start it as it toys with me as it turns over then gives up.

I think that the launderette will have a phone.

Or Andy’s.

Give up and walk back to my mother-in law’s place.

It is towed up to the Saturn in Racine -$50 – where I am told it needs a fuel pump. They will have one to-morrow. To-morrow at this time I am to be still in Ohio but nearing the Pennsylvania border.

An initial panic but not to worry hoarding everything I can use “my” Saturn with a mere 210 000 miles on it. What panic remains comes from a machine that was running smoothly suddenly stops and a decidedly more used machine driving along the tollways.

Worse it looks like I’ll have to get a mobile.

1 comment:

displayname said...

Oh Lordy!!

First, THE Obscure Midwestern Photographer procures a digital SLR and now, and now, he's thinking about a cellular phone!

Soon, he will be speaking in only ZERO's and ONE's.

The sky is falling dear friends, the sky is falling.