Sunday 23 July 2006

I count my blessings...

Being at the greatest art school in existence was again proved a blessing to-day while I was wandering about Artscape. To be truthful Artscape while being tooted as the greatest arts festival in the Mid Atlantic is no more than the Art on the Square in Madison with the Maryland State Fair in Timonium – bad art and greasy food. It is better than Taste of Chicago as one is over charged by local small endeavours rather than bit size portions from “famous” restaurants which turns out to be mainly pizza.

I realised how blessed I am because this riff raff was on the M.I.C.A. campus – I could tell as there were signs and banners with MICA on them up and down Mt Royal Avenue. The school was actually a participant and while the art on the street was standard art fair at least the poor overachieving school was showing its presence.

The buildings were open - no compound like fence around it – with security guards patrolling and asking for ID’s. There were actual booths showing the school’s outreach, I was invited to go into the buildings and look around at all the work inside.

What the hell were they thinking – I am so glad that the powers that be gave us a knight to run our empire And even though like most nobility – he hasn’t a clue with money – maybe he is taking after the Queen and refusing to touch the nasty stuff – he knows how to keep the ivory tower as white as the marble steps along Baltimore Street. We’ll have none of those peasants entering the building, we don’t have to place banners on light poles nor names on buildings – that don’t fall off – for those worthy will find us.

We needn’t new buildings as that calls attention to oneself – and requires fundraising – and that is tantamount to begging isn’t it.

Who needs are these people performing on the grounds of the school – if one could actually find it. Worse is seems that there is an actual arts district growing up around MICA – along North Avenue just east of where the new dorms will be. Imagine an art school at that benefits the community, I never! I am so glad that we keep “those” spaces a good three miles from the real art.

It nerve wracking entering a building and not having to show anything why anyone could enter. I for one will only feel safe when I am back safely guarded at the knight’s castle keep where I don’t have to worry about all this other “art”.

No comments: