Sunday 2 July 2006

why i like sundays


Heading back from a marathon football session at the James Joyce - Argentina x Germany and Italia x Ukraine and not to worry the wounds on the wrists are superficial after Brasil x France I went across the veins - on the light rail heading up Howard Street I notice a series of potential snaps. One side of the street is boarded up the other is a mix of empty buildings, failed enterprises and antique shops.

Sunday – a break from packing – I head back down on the light rail – get down at the M.I.C.A. stop – wow getting down from the tram in the middle of the M.I.C.A. campus, I’d be jealous if I didn’t work for the greatest art school in existence – to walk to the yards. Sunday before noon, on a street where hardly anyone is out and about on a week-day made photographing a snap. I like Sundays in cities as shops are closed the streets are pretty much empty the traffic light and the wait for either machines of people to get out of the way is minimal.

Of course once off the tram and out with the camera a person comes up and wants me to make his snap. I do it he thanks me and moves on down Reade Street.

I take my time photographing the façade only (C)harm City’s finest slowed down each time they passed. I only remember one snap that I wanted to make a coffee shop that looked like it was perpetually about to open. There were three in various stages of operation on the block.

Wondered how valuable antiques can be across from bombed out buildings – doesn’t that make them junk?

Photographed my favourite vitrine – AT Jone’s and son a shop with circus figurines. They seemed fitting guardians of the street. The street could be a Rocinha theme park actually no as Rocinha – has social services, a transit system, and functioning businesses actually it functions better as a city than Baltimore.

I find remnants of the homeless, crates to sit on, clothes left out, places for the evening. I only actually find homeless when I am below Centre Street – along Mulberry Street, the car parks, and the light rail stop just below Baltimore Street.

It seems strange to talk about enjoying a day where I am swarving a part of a city that with a bit of improvement be Gary Indiana but I like to wander. The wander was my history. Passed Hutzler’s my school mates – closed, passed Sherman’s Book Mart – that a bastard he overcharged for magazines – but then again so does the Starbucks at Eutaw and Baltimore – closed. The Palmer House – closed.

But there was a new Indian Restaurant and Deli

It was to be a short wander as I had to get back to pack but again was pretty pleased with myself as riding back I saw a snap that I wanted to make after the football marathon. Got down and did the Howard Street walk again. It was Sunday and the light rail only runs every 15 minutes plenty of time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I suppose that the Brazil v France match was an unpleasant surprise. I was a bit thrilled, but I guess one must stick with his foster country...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I suppose that the Brazil v France match was an unpleasant surprise. I was a bit thrilled, but I guess one must stick with his foster country...