Wednesday 16 August 2006

IT IS LIKE ST. JOHN’S BUT WITHOUT THE BUBBLE.


Before leaving the departure lounge at the airport in San Francisco, we run into stereotypes. Along the hallways, everyone is on a laptop – and new to me – most are Apples, There isn’t a person seated without one.

Making our way to the Airtrain, we run into a bunch of buff boys who look more like they hang out at the gym than on any playing field.

Taking the BART into the city, it is a parade of teen-age mothers with their month old children – being San Fran of all nationalities and creeds.

-Louise is going to gaol. She sold three pounds to a cop.

San Fran has this mystical aura to it as being one of the great cities – romantic technically savvy, very diverse – but I never see it. I saw people who seemed to have staked out their own public dust bin as their shopping area. every open area along the embargadero had someone in a stupor while hugging some brand of cheap alcohol. I have become friends with the street person outside the Walgreens in Sutter street. The first thing I notice is the poverty.
Outside Il Fornaio out on the patio having wine I saw a man with a specially made cane so that he could place it over pennies in the fountain and pick them up with out getting wet.

It is not like Baltimore’s third world like poverty – the poor and homeless seem not to hang around Harbour Place – her being an open minded city the poor seem to have made ground rules not to congregate and have their own turfs so that one can pretty much go about one’s business without being overwhelmed by them.

I remember this from the last time. a city where there seem to be a great deal of homeless.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t like it - would like it more if I could get a decent pint of Smithwicks overlooking the lengthening shadows creeping up to the Irving sign on the South Side Hills – it is a great wandering city and has me call into question my thesis on one of the reasons Chicago isn’t – the grid.

Anyway

After standing baffled like many others in front of the BART ticket dispensers we headed for Powell and Pine where we were staying, Reckoned that we could avoid the walk up the hill with the cable car but after seeing the block long queue, decided to walk. Again the training walking between the old Wordplay and where I parked the machine did me well, I could take the hills like a pro luggage and all, Carol had to become acclimatised. I was getting visibly annoyed with the crowds and was wondering if people here didn’t know how to walk – they seem to be five abreast – or the pavements were exceedingly narrow. We kept having to dodge people.

Checked in at Powell Place – strange that just north of Silicon Valley where when I checked for wireless signal, this place charges for internet access – and went up to our rooms. I was tsk tsked when I said I had brought my computer by the concierge ‘ you are hear to get out’. I countered in a 21st century way ‘but how do I download my snaps?’

Rooms is the perfect word, the condo is tidy well laid out and feels like the rooms one would have when one “went up to town” than the usual time share condo. Was shocked on how nice it was it is laid out so that even though it is small one can be in one room without seeing someone in another even with the doors open, There is no long hallway.

Being in Powell Street I can complain in an oh so exclusive way about the constant whine of the cables and the clattering of the cable cars as they trundle past. I could be a perfect refuge and fits with my present anti big sentiment.

Am careful with the walking as I tend to overdo it and it been a long time since Carol has gone for a walk with me. Try not to divert, attempt to take the shortest route.

Well I tried, I went a bit out of my way as walking up Stockton didn’t look as exciting as the Embarcadero so we went a couple of blocks too far east.

Then I overestimated the time it would take to get to the restaurant so a wander up to Pier 39 to look at the bay and to start with some bay area.

It was a rehearsal dinner that we were heading to and thinking it would be a small affair took only 10 rolls and only black and white.

I reckoned that with a camera I would walk more slowly and thus Carol would work on her endurance.

I forgot that when we walk – while I can take hills and walk forever – I gawk when I wander. Like a well trained school child at the busy intersection I look in every direction as I walk along the street. I usually have to catch up with her as her manner of walking is closer to a fitness hike. The outings are usually me mentally remarking as something, then looking up to see Carol a good block away. I, again, knowing that we have to be someplace, even reigned back the making of snaps made mental notes of places to return to.

The dinner was a bigger affair than I had thought and nearly ran out of film. Darkness saved me to an extent. My legs were getting stiff from sitting so long. I had wanted to pass by City Lights on the way to the restaurant now was looking to seeing it on the walk back.

No comments: