Saturday 4 August 2007

It was a day to finish off. To find a place to work I headed over to the school to cut and put together some books so that I could post something from here – didn’t know that Canada Post Pouch Cove was a cash only enterprise so no Pouch Cove cancellations. Said good-bye and happy retirement once again to Mary. That done one more time to Hava Java. The rains had ended so I could sit outside – the only one. I parked in Pleasant Street and walked down testing fate as Water Street was flooded.

Over to M. Francis Kelly to buy more cover stock – said good bye to Holly - back to the school to finish up and over to the Water Street Post Office.

For some reason, I thought at I would finally go and see Tors Cove – no real reason really. With Zequinho in tow I headed down Route 10 and with a dogged determination that I haven’t had, turned off to the cove.

It was a perfectly ordinary outing, spoke to buddy from Lancashire who said that he draws instead of photographs – this is what he was doing from his S.U.V. We chatted a bit and I went out looking – not for anything in particular.

What I found was some juxtapositions, boats with basketball hoops, abandoned bikes, very rich houses overpowering tolts. Made most of the snaps in the harbour and then again with the digital point and shoot on a beach. Remarked on the sheep – I hear brought down from the Goulds – on the island in the cove.

Some images of graffiti of someone declaring their love of the rock then a drive back through Petty Harbour – stopping in the Goulds at Bidgoods as I heard it was a place that I should see – it was closing.

Remembered that I wanted to photograph a section of Petty Harbour and made a note to do it the next day, as well as say good-bye to Peter.

It didn’t happen. This was the last outing. My last day was taken up hawking my work and having me leave on an optimistic note that the work may actually be seen by more than the dozen at the gallery.

No comments: