Friday 12 October 2007

Tuesday,

I never know how to gauge time when I have to fly out. It doesn’t really matter what time of day, it seems that I am wasting time until the flight leaves. Worse I am working backward from when I think that I have to be at the airport.

I guess that early morning flights are the best but to me early morning usually means getting up before the crack of dawn and heading into St. John’s.

The best last day in a city was Rio when the flight didn’t leave until 10PM. Left my luggage with the concierge and raced all over town getting one last look and surprising myself in the “risks” that I was taking – heading out to Maracanã, taking the metrô, walking back from the Sambadrómo through the Pça da República and downtown before finally taking a bus back to the hotel and a coach to Galeão/Tom Jobim. A full day.

Leaving Balamer, I am carrying too much stuff to actually stop and make snaps – although I do stop and place packages on friend’s cars are parked in the light rail commuter lots.

The flight back to the Midwest left at noon. The airport was 15 minutes away. It was he worse possible scenario - too late to start anything in Burlington to early to simply head out.

I did two last wanders in the neighbourhoods once more with a clear blue morning sky with a nice bright piercing sun. Walked away from downtown not expecting much and thus just stuffed my pocket with a couple of rolls and Joãozão. A mistake well half a mistake as I was in a fuzzy image frame of mind and kept seeing potential Diana snaps also. The main reason was finding more things left than I expected but there was a great deal of New England formalism.

After the first round I was going to chalk it up to “next time” but with more time to spare, I went on a sprinting snapping spree.

A snap of a 50’s like motel having the rental car courtesy bus wait for us while I made it.

Proud of a morning well spent.

The eternal “slow zone” on the CTA in from O’Hare set the tone for being back in the Midwest.

No comments: