Saturday 1 December 2007


Looking at all the faculty searches somehow leaves me cold – unintended but foreshadowing pun – I see position in New Mexico, Georgia, and Southern California and cannot see myself living in any of them.

At first I think that it has to do with the lack of sizeable bodies of water, Mountains are fine but deserts - even though I hear Albuquerque is nice. I cannot place myself there.

Then the day before Yanksgiving, there is the first panic of the year. The weatherman predicts measurable snow. Most panic. It is only going to be an inch but even here in the upper Midwest people are worrying about travel, accidents and the other anchors remark that they cannot wait until spring.

Strangely I cannot wait. Flying back from Charm City, I found it strange that the autumn colours had just started as I looked down form the plane. I catch Jacinta Wall when she reads the temperature

-Labrador City minus 6
-Happy Valley – Goose Bay mtininus10
-St. Anthony zero
-and here on the Avalon 6 degrees.

I check to see what would test my endurance. I welcome seasons. It seems that the people that I get along most with welcome them also. They are the ones out and about in winter and not hibernating waiting for March – or around here April. Maybe it is because the cold keeps the riffraff off the streets and I can wander not worrying about fair weather dilettantes.

Everyone is “freezing” now – although we have had only one day below 0C. It furthers my theory that most people don’t like to be outdoors and winter gives them a better excuse than summer.

Am at the WGAS in a talk where a photographer is showing his work. Large format from coast to coast to coast and one of the first things that I notice is snow.

Not National Geographic snow not the whiteness celebrated but snow common half melted, rutted snow remnant that one finds in most urban areas north of the Mason Dixon Line. That snow that stays until spring the way that weeds stay until autumn.

I found that remarkable as it not only meant that he was outside in winter but also didn’t let winter impinge on his work, He had taken the snow and thus winter for granted.

Which is not true I don’t take winter nor the cold for granted I am fully aware of it and prepare for it but don’t hide from it.

I had this discussion with a minor CBC presenter about here in below the 49th mythic space is the West, above it, it is the North. I drool at the idea of seeing Labrador – but even I am not sure of those temperatures, I keep applying to the KIAC so that I can make that drive north and seeing everything fall away. I am sort of envious of that same presenter as he plans to drive the ice roads this winter as soon as he finds a satellite radio.

This was the change. This was where I could distinguish the hibernators from the celebrators. On the train through the richer northern suburbs – backyard hockey rinks being flooded, Baseball diamonds turning into skating rinks.

I think of January and how I’d like to be at Martin and Gabrielle’s – even more so now that they have a stove again. To be around people who are out as much in winter. Henry heading down to Bruce’s for his coffee and Canadian, Russ and his morning walks this time across the ponds behind Pouch Cove, Jonathan always doing something but making sure it is outside. Mulley out in the shed, as is Ted.

There is pond hockey which I have been trying to photograph for the past eight years – blame global warming.

With the cold and the snow the lethary has lifted as it means either warmish mauzy days or cold clear days where shadows are as tangible as the objects that cast them. Cannot wait to get out.

No comments: