Sunday 23 December 2007

Referencing the priveleging of my practice

Bravo Roberta Smith!
I was at an endless meeting reading horrible statements written by students in the hopes of getting shows the poverty of the statements is due to we the faculty of the WGAS making up for the paucity of shows with a dialect of English barely understood outside white walls.

After seeing ‘investigation’ pop up for the tenth time in eleven applications, I thought of having a call for words or phrases that should be banished from art English. Due to my procrastination - remember in this is a conceptual school, actual carrying through with the idea isn’t really paramount - Roberta Smith beat me to it in to-day’s New York Times.

Here's hoping that in the near future the only subgrouping of the human race that can freely butcher English will be sportcasters.

7 comments:

mendacious said...

i also vote for leaving out words like: obtuse, enigmatic, vapid, transcends, void, cross-reference, pedantic, germane, bold, hybrid, search, meaning, entwine, journey and in the foreground of historical baggage ...

rc-d said...

my gawd woman!!!! what is left. you know that we visuals are not strong on grammar but instead of a nip and tuck you go for the jugular. the arts rendered mute.

Anonymous said...

At SAIC, however, that might not be such a bad thing. It was my experience that those who could talk the most convincingly about their work, well, their work need the most words. Susan has brought up "practice" before in conversation as being a new word in the art world and not one she likes very much. I am not sure I mind it, at least, it seems the lesser of many other evils, such as the art/craft debate.

rc-d said...

when i hear someone use the practice, i mumble keep practicing...

Anonymous said...

...and when I hear someone say craft I wonder where I left my gun...

rc-d said...

very crafty...

Anonymous said...

Well, after I wrote that I wondered if I meant murder or suicide...