Sunday 18 May 2008

ding dong drink

It was Friday and around 5:30. At my estimation I had a 45 minute window. Hopped in the machine and down the Beltway – passing someone from Nova Scotia toward I-97, Ram’s Head bound.

Naplis.

I had missed Bill’s birthday and Sharon’s open studio but with any luck they would be there. Like the Duke, however, The Ram’s Head is the meeting place before it is decided what will happen later on.

The opposite of what I usually do but with the same mindset, I make the drive not knowing exactly what to expect. There had been times when no one I knew was there – summer everyone was trying to get down the Ocean. It was getting to be that time of year and I didn’t feel any better seeing the tailback for the Bay Bridge making it back to Annapolis.

Saw John and Melissa outside the bar making a phone call – I think it was the shock of her having a mobile phone. I was heading in the wrong direction and was almost at the end of West Street before I could stop turn around a park.

I now thought that they were heading into the concert at the Ram’s Head. Walked in to a bar that was surprisingly empty. No one was in their usual corner. Looked about saw no-one and was about to leave when Melissa was by the entrance.

Seeing me – well when the shock or horror subsided – she rang Bill on that phone again – a pink one – it seems that he has been a recluse since his birthday and Sharon was recovering from the open studio. But there were new people – and a new beer – Smithwicks – but am a locavore had a pint of Copperhead.

Smithwicks is everywhere now – saw an advert for it at Camden Yards.

Again talk was made without discussing work. There was the usual cross section of ages well minus Bill. People were more than their jobs. Drinks were had and everyone went on to their week-ends.

No comments: