Monday 12 May 2008

While I was fretting that digital photography makes one lazy, I hadn’t come to realise that the same thing was occurring with me using Joãozão. When a Tennessean was in town – ex WGAS – I used one of the leiquinhas. When I went to send a snap via e-mail, I was horrified with the amount of dirt and water spots that were on the neg. I noticed the same thing with the snaps I had made when racing to the train. It seems that either water spots don’t happen with 120 or with the larger format they are not noticeable.

It could be due to the fact that with the big lads I use Fuji film while with the leiquinhas – I give them the respect they deserve and buy arista.edu ultra. I rationalise that I like the retro look but it is the price.

Because of this inherent sloppiness, I thought that on my wanders™ about Chicago, I would only use the liequinhas – up until now I simply chose to forget – this time having less time before the annual grad hazing ritual at gallery 2, I took them both. Couldn’t make it a great wander ™ as i had less time, and was sort of at a loss as i have trolled the Randolph Street market area now almost as much as the Loop. Some colour formalism sneaked in.

Went for the old tropes of empty restaurants and the outdoor seating areas that were being set up – everyone was fooled by those 20C days. A zig zag pattern before the morning coffee and scone and the first victim of the day.

Lunch was better as I had to head back up to Randolph Street as a wholesaler up there had a nice vegetarian sandwich roasted vegetables on a baguette, it was warming up, so the plan was to find a bench and eat it before one more passion fruit smoothie.

Ran into the may day parade calling for a recognition of what immigrants – illegal and legal – do for the economy – really cannot see one of Chaney’s kids cleaning toilets in some suburban home. It was massive and once I crossed over to the side where I could get back to Gallery 2. I stopped and watched a bit.

Started photographing people in the parade who were photographing other people in the parade – I know not original but what do you expect from someone who still does Winogrands in the 21st century? I really don’t think anything came out of it except that it took my photography down a peg to where I was back to note-taking in a less contradictory sort of way.

Felt like a migrant after the parade for there is no place in the West Loop where there is a bench much less a park. Grazed back to G2.

3 comments:

mendacious said...

i like how you've trade marked 'wanders' and 'wander'... if i ever have need to use these, i will have to site you.

my other question would be, i'm going to central america in december- would it be suicidal of me to leave my digital camera behind? and just experience things... or? no really, i need some answers. i know it's silly but STILL.

rc-d said...

i had to people certain people were blithely using the term.

i cannot experience anything without a camera but i don't stop to make snaps it seems to be part of my inherent hyper hateful photographic framework.

although there is someone in photography at the wgas - aimée - who went to france without a camera, are you afraid of theft or compartmentalisation of observations?

is it weight? are you taking a dslr or a point and shoot.

the cult camera here is the lumix DMC-TZ5A great pictures with a nice 16:9 ratio and a great wide angle lens. if you are thinking point and shoot.

my sister and some people who knit have the nikon d40 which is a nice light dslr. was thinking about getting one myself.

rc-d said...

if you are really concerned i know of a photographic service that you can hire to document your trip...