Friday 8 September 2006

without comment

Needing to get away from things cyber, I bike to the lake to prepare for upcoming classes – like driving, biking gives me time to think.

School is in, it is after Labour Day, the beaches along the lake are empty. I get to choose the bench with the best view.

As I slow at a promising picnic table, a cargo shorted, button downed shirted, sandaled man appears at a particularly messy table talking to himself. He has one of those mobile earphone jobbies. He seems as startled as me as he walks back to his van.

I choose a table nearby – stare out at the lake and begin.

He seems at a loss as he returns with his Schwinn still talking on his mobile. He glances over, he rests his bike on “his” table, looks again and heads to the beach.

He paces between breakwaters, 100 metres, every time he turns around, he acts as if he wants to be at ease, he ventures into the lake then seeming to feel that this is not the manner of a mobile toting man comes out. His shirt is unbuttoned and he stops talking but starts again even louder. He ventures into the lake again, shivers and leaves this time still on the phone. His sandals come off and walks the tide line, on the return trip, he leaves his sandals. His shirt dangles from his shoulder GQ style, on the return, it has disappeared. He walks into the lake again this time resolved that he will never reconcile being away from his desk and at ease continuing his conversation on the phone.

5 comments:

mendacious said...

i'm surprised the lake isn't frozen over yet. . .

i'll be there at the end of october to check for myself.

rc-d said...

bring your mukluks, sled dog and parka

Anonymous said...

I suspect the ear phone jobbies could give a nasty shock to the head if they got wet with lake water.

rc-d said...

i sense an experiment...

Anonymous said...

I actually have an earphone jobbie thing. My mother surprised me with it the same time she surprised me with a cell phone. I suppose that is what I get for never returning her calls.