Wednesday 11 October 2006

Even though I used the single trip ticket on the light rail stretching the idea of “single trip” a bit, I am still at Thurgood Marshall Airport with two hours to spare. Security didn’t even help, no unmanageable Midway type queues, no one yelling out orders, only two people in front of me. The TSA worker who went through my bags even give me tips. This time it was the film in the film shield bag. No one had to o.k. my contact lens fluid. I have even taken the time to decide where I am going to have lunch – pad thai and a couple of spring rolls – actually hot and sour soup they don’t have spring rolls - but I was thinking a burrito, by passed the three bookshops.

This wouldn’t be bad if I could pull a Winogrand and leave the bag someplace and make snaps, but I keep hearing the warnings.

I wanted to do a couple of kamikaze runs to my uncle and M. but I was trying to be dutiful and help my mum unpack a bit.

Then a moment of lucidity, and I realised that the light rail passes North Linthicum, where she parks, and since one sometimes – well never from Mount Washington - has to transfer to get to the airport I could do it there.

For some reason I got down at the Yards, thinking a doughnut but got a pumpkin cream cheese muffin which I didn’t dare eat on the light rail as getting down the driver admonished “NO EATING!!!”

Basking in the early morning sun outside the yards, I had my muffin while watching people –very few for a rush hour more cars than people the trains were empty.

A nervous moment as a fare checker got down from the northbound train and crossed the track to my side. Waited an extra train.

A slight panic at North Linthicum as the lot was fuller than expected and there was the possibility of her taking a long weekend. Systemically walked the rows found it and still had time to make a few snaps before the next train.

Now the wait pacing myself

Leaving the condo someone asked if I were driving back.
-No I have to work to-morrow.

But, leaving at 8am, twelve hour drive, am in Peasants Pissoir at 7pm. Flying leave at 8am – car to light rail to plane to Orange Line to Brown Line to Red Line to Purple Line to Metra to car will be back in Wisconsin at 6pm.

No comments: