Thursday 26 October 2006

It arrived.

I heard UPS drop off the package, I was down printing and knew that even though it was my platinum supply from Bostick and Sullivan, it would be safe on the front stoop until I could turn on the light and head up to fetch it.

I saw the box but when I opened the front door this poorly wrapped taped book with a UPS sticker that looks like the poster in the post office for suspicious packages fell into the house.

No white powder.

Ah. Here we go again an anonymous package from someone at first with stamps all over it. A return address of someone I don’t know.

I carefully slit it open and leaf through it. Found or made, two thirds of the way through I find my name.

Someone knows what I like. I go to the UPS site and track when it was sent – I know whence it was sent – Milwaukee Avenue in Bucktown. There are three suspects. But I am excited.

I try to peel by the label to see if there is a name that I know underneath but I don’t want to “damage” the work. pulling the tape only

I put it aside to take to class as a show and tell. My students are intrigued and before I can turn around they find out who it is from. Not being as delicate they peel back a loose piece of paper and see that it is someone in the class.

I have taught them well.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i am off the list now missing your mail.........
jamaica ny

k.ob. said...

hey clarke. nice post. i am glad to see you enjoyed the package or at least enjoyed the mystery....however long that lasted.