Monday 18 July 2005

Half Hour Later in ...


Don’t know exactly where I should have set my clock ahead, which seems should be important to me as I find crossing borders and making milestones so crucial to my being. Only know that on the ferry, couldn’t get to sleep. Excitement had nothing to do with it, it was the constant traffic to and from the snack bar. It was the giggling kids three seats in front of us. It was because it seemed that the seats were meant for Munchkins. Didn’t bother Kendra who was wound in a tight foetal position.

In between fits of trying to nod off I noticed the sky lightening, Stumbled up on deck – for some reason I couldn’t walk – climbing two flights of steps fighting the wind thinking that must make it territorial waters. Brought the digital camera forgot a sweatshirt. In the distance the rock, darker than the water and the lightening sky, climbing out of the water. A little to the right were the lights of Port-Aux-Basques. I wanted to scream, embrace someone something but as usual here I was mumbling the ode under my breath, Freezing on an open deck in the North Atlantic.

The ferry had been so late in leaving North Sydney that it had the arrival that I wanted and it looked the way I had imagined. Stayed on deck with the few die-hard smokers until appendages started turning colour then stumbled down the stairs to try once again to sleep.

Soon after the preparation for arrival began a yellow light flashed an announcement in English and what tried to pass for French – then movement. People racing to the café, restrooms etc. when the announcement for returning to the cars was heard people began queuing at the lifts to go the one or two floors.

We, like salmon running upstream, fought the flow and made it to the stairs. Around 6am we were in Port-aux-Basques looking for the last bad restaurant that we would have to eat at, if we could find one open.

It was in a hotel, we sat for 10 minutes until someone came. In truth they only came when someone else tripped the bell entering the restaurant. Knew I was on the rock when I got this cold look after I mentioned that I was a vegetarian.

Groggy, bad coffee, waited for the food waited to pay the bill it seems that while everything was open no one had actually bothered to come to work.

Never the less we were back on the road heading to the Tim’s for a coffee to wash down the one there and heading north on the Transcanada to Corner Brook.

I was wrong about Nova Scotia standing in for Newfoundland in a pinch it would be impossible there were no more meadows, the houses were on the ground not in it. the roads were empty but slowed for construction. Now while anxious I was calmer as I had a plan I would eat decent food and sleep in a bed.

I was heading to Corner Brook to buy food at the Dominion and get a hair cut with Tom who did remember me and thus cut my hair for free. He brought out the snap I made of them to show Kendra after she made a piece in the barber shop window.

Photographed his brother and said our good-byes but only after he gave me his phone number just in case I had a problem since I didn’t know anyone in Corner Brook.

Stopped into Taylor’s shop to say hello to Carol but she was busy, so made it out to the university to see if I could buy fixer in the campus bookshop. Nope didn’t have any.

Not to worry I tried to convince myself I’ll buy it in St. John’s. This time I won’t go over board.

Up to the Dominion to buy tofu and other foods so that we could eat that evening and after the gas and my first Canadian Tire money headed back out on the Transcanada to Deer Lake then north to the Great Northern – neither of us could make out the man in the mountain but the giant moose at the Deer Lake Gas Bar was easy – and disappointing.

Finally the park entrance. Pull up and say that I am here for the residence. The attendant said that the person from the discovery centre had been by to say that I was coming the discovery centre was in Woody Point…-
-Woody Point? I thought that it was in Rocky Harbour.
-No turn left at the next road and head down 35 km if you want to go to the house it is the blue duplex the key is under the mat.
-Are you here most of the time?
-yes
-I’ll be back to make your snap.

Already we were dumbstruck by the scenery but in the park it was even more beautiful, the winding of the water the height of the hills when we first saw the Tablelands we were gob smacked. Where was the Avalon, I thought? Pouch where.

Stopped at the Discovery centre to let them know that I had arrived.
Spoke to Sandra who then got in touch with Jessica Butler who knows Ally Baird – they both went to a real art school NSCAD.

Introduced them to Kendra saying that I know that she couldn’t stay but just the night…until we can get her to a campsite…
-As long as you make work.
Head down into town see the house and pull up.
1900 odd miles later the journey ends.
Finally.

No comments: