Friday 22 July 2005

Somewhere in here there is the outing to Trout River


We couldn’t stand it any more the world was passing us by as we had no internet access. Kendra would come back and stare blankly at her Powerbook screen thinking that maybe there was a mistake there would be a line to the outside world. The day in Rocky Harbour was bad enough but when we went by the library here to find out that if we didn’t go to-day – Thursday - we would have to wait until Monday

No fear I thought I am the artist in residence – at least Paul Kennedy thought it was a big deal and he squealed when he saw the Gros Morne free pass – we would go to the Discovery Centre. I would simply ask to use the internet from there saying that part of the project was an online daybook that was woefully behind.

Met Sandy asked it Jessica was in? No. Could we use their internet access so that I could check e-mail and download the blog. I could use hers as they had only one terminal and it was broken she brought in her computer and modem. They didn’t have wireless no DSL it was dial-up.

That and having to navigate the world of Windows threw me into a tizzy. Checked e-mail and left.

Sandra said that we can get dial up from Aliant that can be paid for with a bankcard. Raced home to ring up. And yes it was possible, all I had to do was drive into Deer Lake and pick up a CD. A mere 100 mile round trip drive. Progress was in sight.

Kendra has a moose burger at JAck Adder on the way back - don't think it tasted like chicken.

Get back drop off the CD and head out to…

…Trout River which would the first outing with the Deardorff. Since we had to go over and leave the phone with Patsy and that hinted at a place to park thought that I could use the car as a base camp and head wander I bit. If I needed to run ahead or back I could simply leave the camera set up and race back to the car or do a bit of scouting. Didn’t really plan on the traffic snarl ups caused.

Patsy’s address is the house with the socks – she knits and sells socks – and while we turned the wrong way when we entered town we found it with little trouble.

An aside…these are still a week behind. So while the online daybook is still talking about exploration and getting bearings. We are official come from away. On the walk into town to get milk chatted with Fred who runs the legion saying that the snap of the monument came out and I’ll give him a copy. Joked with the men on the scaffolding painting the church again saying that their snap was fine. Gossip is told, jokes exchanged. Picking up the milk small talk at Pete’s Convenience. Heading back two Ontarians stop me while I am talking to the men on the scaffolding to ask if I am from around here – well they are Ontarians – find out that they live by John Hartman but only know the tourist gallery in Petenguishine. Two bikers ask me where the Discovery Centre is. The daybook seems like ancient history.

We throw the town of Trout River into a frenzy, Patsy is in Corner Brook so we leave the number with a relative. Ask if we can park which doesn’t seem to be a problem and she watches while we photograph her socks.

I find it best to unpack the camera place it on the tripod and lumber up the street with the film holders in a smaller rucksack. It seems to work fine. I have to build up my courage by photographing “safe” subjects first. Things that can be seen from the street, then slowly go more personal – people’s front doors, street furniture, wood piles, laundry – the usual suspects people stop. I let them look through the camera, some joke with Kendra and it is easier to talk to someone who doesn’t have their head under a dark cloth.

Two events made the day. While photographing a triple header – laundry line with a wood pile and a basket ball hoop – a Japanese family drive up and while the man is out the woman keeps staring at me. I wave she does nothing - I guess that she thinks that the car makes her invisible. Make the snap then race over to the front of her car and aim the camera at her. While I am doing this the man returns and aims his digital camera at me. At that time Kendra aims hers at both of us. Photographic standoff. They were from Japan rented the car in Alberta and drove out.

While making a snap of a wood pile, Kendra photographs a group of bikers who were on the ferry with us. One comes over to chat and have a look through the camera. The scene is reminiscent of the Trepassey bikers, so when I am finished and she had made a snap of them I do the same. Give them places to see on the Avalon when they get there and alternative ways of going. They take down the website and the online daybook and off we both go back through the Tablelands to Woody Point.

Back at the house, Kendra chomping at the bit to be in touch with everyone from coast to coast to coast, grabs the CD and installs it in her Powerbook.

Suddenly a wail. The programme runs on OS9. Neither of us can access it. a phone call to Aliant so they can troubleshoot and I am told that everything can be done over the phone.

It is after stating my address in the states at least 25 times, that my address is really General Delivery Bonne Bay Post Office Woody Point Newfoundland A0K 1P0 that the phone was a business one – Parks Canada finally time is getting short it is either now here or a race to the library Kendra races down the hill to get to a internet station.

15 minutes later I ring off assured that within minutes we will be connected. Try. Nothing. Try again. Nothing. I race down the hill to the library.

Returning home and checking again to find no internet access, I ring Aliant once again and find out that the persons who wanted my address 25 times had mistyped my password. We were up and running.

The settling into a habit in the late afternoon after an outing, dinner on the picnic table in the back garden with the meal documented - we felt that we could use cameras and even call ourselves photographers as no one from the ‘Tute was in earshot.

This would set the precedent except that Kendra’s boyfriend from the Seabreeze stopped by for an extended chat and to see if she would be at the bar later that evening. One can only stir fry for so long.

Dinner al fresco, talk about what had been done exchanges of the day’s happenings, then a race to the new dial-up service.

No comments: