Sunday 31 July 2005

HOW TO DRAW A CROWD


Day two of the Bonne Bay Regatta comprised of an arcade and the dory races. Thinking that the activities would start early I was down on the bay at 10AM only to find that I needn’t have rushed. Nothing starts until one.

Nothing except the all day long slo-pitch tourney in the field behind the house which seemed to start at six. Cars were pulling up and bottles opened at that time.

We headed down a bit early to take in the arcade, three booths devoted to food. Two to games that required breaking balloons and one with a picture in it – don’t know why or what one was supposed to do.

Obviously the walk through the arcades took less than an hour so with time to kill Kendra order fish and brews from a vendor that of course we knew. Just in time it seems as they ran out of potatoes just after they prepared hers. It was 1:10.

She said that the fish was good and there was a lot of food. Ran into Kris from the Discovery Centre there with her daughter Rhea. Supposedly more people from the park would be down – a surprise as they seem not to descend into Woody Point from the aerie of the centre. Slowly but surely they did show up, Sandra, two people from Ontario who were Screeched in on Wednesday one with his parent who went to Ryerson and seemed only to speak photography.

I was trying to carry on a conversation while tearing as something had flown into my contact. When I could bear it no more I headed back to the Granite City Café to wash it off.

The dory races started late. There may have been a problem in getting teams together. We took our places and sat when another person with a long lensed camera on a monopod who quipped that this must be the photographers’ corner.

Found out that he was a friend of Clyde Rose’s sister, that he almost went to Leyton – now M.I.A.D. – and now lives in Pennsylvania and here. His wife is from Chicago. They invited me over they are the only house in Curzon Village with an American flag.

During the first dory race I regretted not bringing down the Hobo as there was a nice line up of the boats before the festivities began. It was only one snap and I kept debating but once the race had started. Thought against it until it seemed like it would be sometime before the second race. Talked to Mabel to find out how much longer and when I got a non committal answer, decided to risk it.

Made it to the house and back with plenty of time to spare. Walking about with the Hobo drew photographers to me like dust to sheet film. The large wooden beast, had people stopping to ask questions, those with smaller tools following me to comment on technique or to be close to what I was photographing. Spoke to two people who were photographers for the Humber Log – yeah I giggle also – with whom I shared acquaintances, She graduated from SWGC.

Kendra was appalled. She seemed to think that we weren’t part of the snapping masses but seeing them and trying to distinguish between them and their actions and ours had doubt arise. As soon as possible she fled to the sanctuary of the Seabreeze – or so I thought.

I stayed on being the photo whore that I am nodding at the correct times, answering with something salient, was asked if I were interested in going to China as there is a photographic cooperative there linked to Robert here in Curzon Village. Kris said that she was going to look for a person to take me on their boat to Chimney Cove which I should like. Payment is either cash or beer. All said that they would be at the talk on Wednesday – note to self prepare talk.

When the events seemed to be dying down – it seems that they have to go find the winners from the first heat as they head off to have a beer or two between heats - and me wondering why I used all that film at the regatta when all I wanted was one snap, headed over to the Seabreeze, making my way through all those wonderful Upper Canadians finding the activities wonderful on this wonderful day hearing ‘I cannot wait to see these pictures’. ‘I can’ I thought.

Walked in. Didn’t find Kendra. Found Marilyn, Shirley and Elaine. Left for the house.

Mixed feelings, knew that the Regatta was important for the community but our favourite haunts were so packed that we couldn’t make our way around.

At dusk I headed out to photograph Pete’s and Bruce Martin’s Western Petroleum gas bar. The shops close at nine and there is a half light until about 9:30 wanted that time when the sky and the lights would balance.

Too many cars out in front of Pete’s still so headed back to the gas bar and while Bruce talked to Kendra made a couple of snaps. Stopping traffic, constantly waving to people we knew, Marilyn stared while driving by.

When I thought that the final car had left Pete’s, raced – as much as one can with a camera on a tripod carrying 12 sheet film holders – over to set up while setting up someone tried to get in. He pulled up, parked, got out, left his door open, then came over to chat with me – the sky darkening as we talked. Left to go up to the 3T’s then to the Liquor store, still with his door open. Made a photograph as maybe it would be ok especially with the door open.

The main problem was where to set up as I had to be close to the street where it bends and people careen around it at speed. More stares more almost head on collisions – Marilyn passed again. George stopped to ask what I was doing now.

Tried to make one snap which would have been a 90 second exposure but lengthened considerably as another person pulled up and wouldn’t turn off his head lamps meaning I had to curtail the exposure. The bloke with the open car door came back and he started a conversation with the people in the truck. I wait but it seems that they can wait longer so I lose and try to make a snap as they aren’t really moving but now more cars more lights. I give up and go home.

It didn’t matter I didn’t compensate so the images look as if they were taken at mid day.

Will try again.

There was a dance at the Seabreeze meaning a cover charge to get in. Didn’t feel like dancing or paying the charge. Went back developed the film of the day and made it an early night – midnight.

No comments: