Saturday 4 November 2006

Am late heading over to Schneider gallery for an opening. Even though she represents me my ever getting into another show there much less having an individual one is as close as some tenure track faculty actually making more than one image a year.

Haven’t been in the gallery in over a year, half due to the fact that I haven’t really been in River North in about that time, not true I haven’t been in the gallery because I haven’t been in the gallery.

Walking over – well racing as I wanted to get on the 6:31 train – forgoing all the potential snaps that I saw on the way, I played with the all the retorts I could come up with to somehow have her at least thinking. She scoffs at my adopted province, a gallery and a website at the edge of the world, not realising that that website at the time wordplay got 10 000 hits a month and location is nothing in the cyber world.

Mentally made notes of all the rockbound doings to blurt out when she asked.

She didn’t. The gallery was empty as I keep forgetting to come fashionably late – all these people at the art school to end all art schools said that they were heading over but when I got there the gallery was empty, the plastic wine cups still in neat rows as one walked in.

The show looked great, the whole space was to devote to the work so that it didn’t have to compete with pottery, or peripherals. There was space around the images – but that could have been due to the fact that the gallery looked more like a Tuesday than a Friday opening – again I am sure that this is to me treating galleries the way that seniors treat dinner – but I doubt that there is an early bird special with art.

Left to make the train but not before hitting Daiter – better food and a nice show that I have to bring my class to as it was all about first edition books and the translation from photograph to print. Spent some time babbling to Paul, Stephen and Michael about the show and books, Stephen gave me some pointers when he realised that I didn’t buy books for investment but to look at – trade-em and get the ones you like.

Again I realise that my tastes are out of sync with my department but I like going to Daiter not only to have some perspective of what photography was, but also because they speak to me fully knowing that I cannot afford anything in their space.

Left feelling better and with time, so out came Ubaldo while walking to the train and, a roll later, I board the 6:31.

Checking my email when I get home a message from my evil twin in Pouch the book of platinotypes was well received – a book that will end up in Michigan via the rock.

He also forwarded a message from his daughter in Toronto that was forwarded from a friend of hers. She – the friend - wants to buy a print of mine that she saw on the website, mentioned by my twin and his living DNA sample, for two friends of hers who live in Chicago.

A slight smirk as James Baird is shutting out Schneider everything in what little I have sold has been through him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephen gave me some pointers when he realised that I didn’t buy books for investment but to look at – trade-em and get the ones you like.

How does a book become an investment? Is this something peculiar to people who can spend the downpayment for a car on a book?

rc-d said...

for instance go to addall.com look up
teenage lust by larry clark in the used section you'll find that it is $600. i bought it for $10

or better the first edition tulsa which could be the same with the new reprint which is about $30. since i am really don't care about the investment if i had the original i could trade it for the reprint and make a hefty sum. say like ken schles's invisible city

Anonymous said...

and these are like large print-run books, that are not sewn but perfect bound, whose paper likely isn't ph neutral and will deteriorate within 30 years? Man. I gotta get in on that action.