Wednesday 8 November 2006

I cannot say that Schneider doesn’t effect my thinking she does. When talking, she brings up the how much the works shown go for and whether they sell. Knowing that I cannot justify $1000 for a snap of mine nor can I guarantee that any will sell. I don’t push – and she doesn’t seem interested.

While Jim will tell me about shows of his that sell out, it doesn’t carry the same weight – this is due to the fact that it is usually over the third or fourth pint of Smithwicks in Clarke’s Beach or if you must Baird’s Cove at the Duke. He has, also, knowing full well my record -which is better up there than below the 49th parallel – asked if I want to have a show or curate one – four goes at the gallery since 1999 and one where he commandeered Duckworth Street.

This time though I want to make money for him. I am trying my best to curtail my usual manner of overfilling the space – and want to make six to eight large images 40x32 or 40 inches square – that can be sold for a decent sum while I see if the images hold up that size and since the gallery is know for painting see if they can hold up to that.

I am trying to limit the images to the ikonic. I am worried that they will read beautiful in a tourist board type of way as I photograph the same things. I have two sets of six to eight images picked out depending on how brave I am. Really brave and they will come from the work I did in Gros Morne, less so and it will be from my marling about the rest of the island.

It is hard to limit myself to six images. It is hard for shows are hard to come by and when I get one I want to show all the backlog – to which my evil twin says “Mies van der Rohe”. Hard because I like to build narratives with my misguided ikons. I like to contradict myself. I like to skirt issues. I cannot do that in six to eight snaps.

I am already hedging my bet thinking that yeah right I’ll have few images on the walls but I’ll have a book of platinotypes. Underlying all of this though is the wish to actually sell while using the space to experiment.

No comments: