Thursday 26 April 2007

an attempt at a ceremonial sense of place

A planned wander in homage to an artist who relocating again – odd because I remember her wandering the remote areas of the Pacific being in a place only long enough to become familiar but then moving on. I forgot the relative fixed abode of the last couple of years. Still when I think of sense of place she comes to mind.

A planned wander – like I need an excuse – between two turfs beyond the flat regularity of eastern Rock County into the hillier curvier land beyond the river. Over places we both would have travelled decades apart to reflect the overlapping of places but not time once again. Playing tag with roads with great names – Swamp Angel, Salt Box, Temperance Trail,– towns of Avalon, Bradford, Tiffany – crossing I-90 on the Beloit/Rock Townline road trying to show no preference for either of the cities.

I wanted to go through Afton, Hanover Footville, skirting Orfordville - too big, heading toward Newark.

A wander in curved roads away from the familiar to mimic the hopeful surprise of the new the curiosity of what is around the corner to respond to her relocation in a new found land Mine, though, had vague references to the past – tutoring a student from Footville in Portuguese when I was a resident of the Rock River Valley, an attempt to find Newark in an earlier ramble.

Plans to keep it simple but not too – Joãozão, the camera chosen, complicates anything -a handful of film. Perfect day – 20C warm enough to keep the windows down – sky a bit overcast big clouds making sure that I would not show a bias toward the land. Nice, even, deep, light.

I would make an odd circle to as not to retrace my route – perhaps north to Milton, Lima Center, La Grange, a break in my routine shadowing a break in hers.

Instead an outing along the Tri-State speeding down to Hinsdale to pick up my snaps from the art centre my break not so successful. Hope that hers – more daring – will have a better outcome.

1 comment:

Anna P. said...

Make offering to Turtle Lake please