Friday 27 April 2007

re-wander



Figures, I think waking up this morning. It is pissing rain I have to drive to Chicago as it is session two out at Dominican University – lovingly known as the Island - west of the city.

Driving I thought that I would start a new leaf or regain an old one by doing a wander before heading to the WGAS. It would be a retracing of the one I did a fortnight before when the Leiquinha decided it had had enough.

Driving was worse than the last time due to the rain. When it was relatively easy going the first time it thought people who commute crazy I cannot imagine enduring this daily.

I never learn. Wanting to wander an area where I missed some things one would think that I would go with a reliable camera this time but instead I take Joãozão that also has “issues” with the “not winter” weather.

It doesn’t really matter I think as I get closer to Chicago it rains harder.

Then it stops, it doesn’t brighten the sky is doing a good imitation of London in winter but at least I can walk more than a without being soaked. Drizzle is acceptable.

I was here I the search of the chesterfields. One was there as before and like before I stepped in a puddle to make the snap – a man passes hesitantly.

Found other hints at human habitation a bill fold left, someone sleeping under the Halsted Street viaduct – wanted his possessions not him.

Noticed how much I mistrust 35mm as I remade snaps with Joãozão that were perfectly acceptable in 35mm – or I think they would be if I every bothered to print them. Again never learning, one would think by now that I would simply leave the Leiquinhas at home. But no, hope springs external. Hope for what, I don’t know, as I am not sure what is accomplished doggedly sticking to 35mm.

The second davenport was gone which I used as an excuse to vary my route. As I actually found a street I hadn’t walked down. Not in the meat district but not in the Loop passed construction workers for the new condos being built in between.

More discarded davenports behind places that were still under construction. Eateries and bars already open but empty.

Then people crossing Desplaines, they were everywhere. I returned to commuter mode and walked efficiently to the school.
But a habit has been broken – I hope – plan on taking a different route back to the machine. I don’t have to be on the island until 7PM, which gives me two hours of swarving. The sky is clearing.

To-morrow I don’t have to meet anyone until 10:30 and it is in the area of wander.

No comments: