Tuesday 22 May 2007


The anticipation of a road trip has its usual consequences, in writing about the long stretches of the trip to Pouch that would be less than thrilling, I looked for ways to avoid them.

I know that I wouldn’t take the Northern U.S. route as it is nothing but tolls and I cannot see paying money when I don’t have to – remember being a backwards, hateful skitcher, I still have to support my film habit.

I could go further north, however. This was a fantasy a couple of years ago racing to the overly crowded border at Sarnia and then replacing NPR with CBC. In a moment of pure lunacy I did check to see how out of the way going via Thunder Bay would be – too far – a pity – missing all of lower Ontario up to the Québec border.

Returning to the possible. I could see turning the trip into the type of outing that I like to do. While having to head through Toronto and Montréal, I could some of my secret drops at houses along the way – an international version of what I do around here, drive up, drop something off and leave without detection. There are still packages that haven’t been found up and down – well down – the east coast.

Three drops in Toronto, one in Montréal, the southern shore of the St Lawrence – being tempted to cross over to the northern shore and my ultimate outing through Labrador.

I would miss northern Maine and thought about an even more obscure crossing not at I-95 but at Calais, but that would be balanced by even more time on the Trans Canada and being tempted by a diversion to the Gaspé – as well as being away form the national paranoia of the land above Mexico, would more than make up for that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could also go through VERMONT.

Anonymous said...

I thought you used to put things in people's mail box...nice and easy to find...ever get my post card from that unknown book shop? The rest were impossible to mail from the resort in CR, oh well, you would have liked that better I imagine, than coming from R after the fact...

rc-d said...

post boxes, wind screens of their machines, dangling from their garden gnome, one has to be creative.

i am not sure if this is the proper venue for a discussion of things postal but i do read the cancelations marks and look at the stamps.

yes even though the city lights blinded me a bit i was quaking when i got a post card worthy of me boring the students with next term.

rc-d said...

and vermont is nowhere close to being on the way to the atlantic provinces - might as well go through utah.