Wednesday 16 May 2007

It started,

I think with seeing all these books come from the crumbling college down the way from the WGAS. It seemed that being on faculty meant a book from the Centre for American Places. Wondered if it could be Centre for NORTH American Places.

I tried to suss out how this was happening and if one not of that august institution could do the same – I must admit though they do kick ass when it comes to photography – something that is considered a dirty word six blocks north – only to hear stories of having to back the production oneself with half the funds. I heard that down the street the department having people who can raise funds, actually bankrolls part – don’t know how true this is though.

Then over at Daiter Gallery, in disguise as no-one from the recent incarnation of the WGAS would deem to be seen in a purely photographic gallery, where I found that they were publishing a catalogue along with the Joan Flasch Artist Book Collection via this company called lulu.com.

It looked good and was inexpensive. I was also told that they are using lulu to layout other books saw another and except for the brown tint to the images again the quality was impressive.

In a moment of weakness when I was missing my days as a plastic camera person – one feels like such a pro when lugging a brightly coloured bit of plastic that makes duck calls when winding on – bought LIGHTLEAKS out of Toronto and lo and behold they are published by lulu.

Was wary here though as I didn’t care too much on the print quality – looked more like the layering one would find with an inkjet printer on glossy paper. Now I don’t know what to think.

Browsing one of the sites I look at with regularity – Flâneur – out of Argentina, I noticed that he has a book coming out via lulu.

I was sold. While I hesitate in pressing the return button on my computer to start the printing – which is on demand and can be ordered via lulu – I have laid out and everything is ready to go.

I have to gather the courage to do it soon as I want my book to come out before that foodie/Ideas presenter comes out with his. I suspect that since he has been writing his for the last century – he was sequestered away in Martin and Gabrielle’s back in 2004 supposedly working away – that it is a ploy. After all The Rooms have invited him out to talk about it. Living NL - pronounce it quickly – has had him on to make a dish – something with vegan caviar - and I am sure he uses the line whenever he enters the Duke and wherever Upper Canadians drink when they are at home.

Limited the text so no Guardian type typos, checked the images three times…
Hope there is a take back…

No comments: