Tuesday 3 June 2008

East of Canton

It was to be an addition to the great bus ride series, I wasn’t to get to and wander ™ but ride to the terminus and then come back. I had chosen the 22 as it goes to Johns Hopkins Bayview – of course there isn’t one. It was one of the choices that I had coming back from Friends, my curiosity was peaked waiting for it in Hampden after Service Photo.

Because of this I only took the leiquinhas, why be burdened when it was a mere bus ride. Playing bus roulette the northbound M-3 came before the southbound one and knowing full well that I may not have to pay – didn’t took it to the M-2 to ride to Mondawmin actually wanted to go down Reisterstown Road for a change of scenery. It was even more depressing than Park Heights.

The cash box was broken on the M-2 also.

Pulling into Mondawmin, I saw the 22 pull out and seeing that it would be a good hour before the next bus, looked around for another potential bus ride.

The 5 to Cedonia. Always wanted to go to Cedonia. I know nothing about Cedonia. I simply remembered that it was beyond the Baltimore that I knew. The route twisted all through east Baltimore. The bus was there.

It seems that the bus twists a bit too much. I forgot that I almost completes a circle before heading south to head northeast. I also forgot that seeing a bus at the stand doesn’t mean that it will going anywhere soon.

The bus was packed.

I wondered if I would ever make it to the terminus and started to look for an exit strategy. The plan was when I saw a bus number heading back I would get down and start the return trip. With my usual hesitation I kept saying next stop one stop too many and ended up missing that connexion.

Got down when I saw Bayview in the distance and decided to walk to it I was someplace around Sinclair Lane and Clearway and chose Erdman Avenue seeing the traffic cones, taverns, and strip malls.

It was about now that I missed Joãozão, had to make due.

Tavern entrances, old office buildings turned into churches, crab sales, I seemed to be sneaking up on Bayview but not really getting any closer. Under the railway tracks at Macon Street south in Kresson Street and into a small residential area, back out past the Coca Cola bottler, a used car lot and a strip joint before another residential area this time with people out and about.

Saw a potential snap but spent so much time assessing the merits while walking that I was a good mile away along Lombard before thinking that I should go back and make the snap.

By that time I decided that it wasn’t worth it and the tavern façades were a good compensation – not really.

Looking over the Harbour Tunnel Throughway, with Natty Boh in the distance to guide me gain my bearings, wandered a bit more into the Hopkins complex to wait for the 22 bus for the return trip.

Well not really thought that I would walk along the bus route until one caught up with me.

Well not really about 200 metres from a bus shelter, the skies opened with big heavy drops, that had me racing back to the bus shelter until I was hopelessly drenched.

No worries though by the time the 22 showed, I had dried off.

No comments: