Thursday 19 June 2008

NAVAGATIO PAGANI RC-D CFA


Glen Burnie to Glenburnie
Harve de Grace to Harbour Grace
Green Bay to Baie Verte
St. John’s through Saint John to St. John’s
And if this wasn’t enough
Hvitramamaland to Vinland
My love of significant things of insignificance.

Later that I would like, a road trip to the Rock.

I thought it the most feasible approach – even with the price of gasoline – as while I was there last year, I tended to stray more and more from the Trans-Canada and was drawn down those long roads that connect the south coast outports to the Trans-Canada. Flying and renting a machine coasts about as much as driving but I am not limited to 3oz bottles nothing sharp and what I can stuff in an overhead compartment. I don’t have to sweat my film and x-rays.

My curiosity in less easily accessible places came from the Radio One version of driving Miss Daisy when I carted a minor CBC presenter to Millertown. I was told that the dirt road ran into the Burgeo Highway and the Atlas in my head unfolded.

Slowing down, heading up the Bonavista when finally I didn’t care if I made it to the cape heightened the urge. So thinking…

Once off the ferry, I would head east to Rose Blanche to see what is left of it. before getting on the Trans-Canada. While on the island I would go south coast island hopping Burgeo, Ramea, Grey River, François etc. as well as those long threads of tarmac to the same places.

Following through on my obsession of places of supposed importance. One of the four corners of the world on Fogo – keep forgetting where it is exactly – so more island hopping.

When I Baltimore I mention this my mum and when she said that she had decided not to go on the world cruise, I glibly said how about cruising up the east coast.

She’s in. She traded in the Taurus for an Accord – better mileage

The Midwest departure is 26 July to make the 3:30 am sailing of the Leif Erickson on the 29 July. Martin and Gabrielle’s place is occupied until august which leaves time for all sorts of options.

No comments: