Tuesday 24 June 2008

It has ended, I have printed the last of the Clarke’s Beach postcards for this year. It has also ended as in the last weeks with time on my hands – in the darkroom there is time to think – I roughly calculated how it had cost to send out the three post cards a week to 30 people for the past 10 months.

I had also come to realise how much time was spent doing this when someone told me that I once never photographed people now that it all that I do. It isn’t all that I do it simply has taken up all of my time.

I want to send more pixture post cards. More of the type I used to send before YYT.

I don’t plan on stopping the series. I tried to do that a couple of years ago but someone said something and unthinkingly I made a snap. I also like how the work is changing as I run into people over and over again. Made comment that this is my Ballad of Cod Dependency. The people are special as the time spent with them even initially becomes longer and longer.

Now that there are print on demand books, I see consolidating the work into one mailing. I know that the time line will go, the idea of segments. Finishing I tried to remember when it started in August of last year. I also like the minor adjustments that happen along the way. The exercise for me as much one of memory as anything else. I liked choosing stamps, I hate that postage went up twice during this series.

The cost of postage was really becoming a strain, I was feeling guilty about the plastic sleeves – seeing them as my versions of those supermarket plastic bags.

So with the final instalment due to hit the post office Canada Day, I’ll have a good two months to work on the next incarnation.

No comments: