Saturday 17 March 2007

Brigus Goes South

I was informed by the ROOMS that I didn’t get the residency at the Rockwell Kent house in Brigus. While it didn’t come as a surprise – my application was a bit scattered. I have to write them in that nanosecond of lucidity when everything comes together. If I miss it the writing becomes gibberish.

I am also sure that what I consider a normal area of exploration would be considered by them a bit excessive as I wanted to explore the entire area between Conception and Trinity Bays – well maybe giving Grates Cove and Bay de Verde a pass using Brigus as a foothold.

I was particularly interested in the “Hearts”.

I also think that I rambled a bit much – sound familiar? As for some reason I have to prove that I am not a typical CFA and know the area well. It also may not have helped that I equated – in a good way – the area around Carbonear with the US Midwest. Places people go through but rarely stop.

I thought that I didn’t have a chance really as there is only two spaces a year in Brigus but when in the infinite wisdom that endears the Rooms Corporation of Newfoundland and Labrador to the arts community, they sent out a blanket e-mail to the applicants not bothering to make it a b.c.c. I knew not only how many applied –ten - but who.

Not upset – while it may seem that when I rail against The Rooms it will be out of bitterness, anyone who has experienced the organisation will know better – as it would have facilitated my exploration of the area in which is found not only Bay Roberts but Clarke’s Beach and Dildo – although Spread Eagle is not in the peninsula but across the bay.

It is obvious that I don’t need a place to stay on the Rock anymore as I can blackmail Jim but it would add much needed lines on the C.v. and some validity to what I do –although it means nothing at the WGAS. Newfoundland isn’t as trendy as South Africa, Cambodia, or Vietnam.

I’ll apply again next year but when the moment of lucidity strikes make sure that I am ready.

No comments: