Friday 2 March 2007

Up

A bit.

So no need to panic, it was a nice day – maybe too nice as the sun is trying to appear meaning that my angles will be limited - I can head back to Lake Geneva this time dropping my post off at the Powers Lake post office thinking that it was on the lake. It had moved.

This time it was Ubaldo along with Joãozão who came along for the ride as the underlining plan was to now designate Joãozão as the cheap film camera, it would – for the time being – be the camera that will use the Arista.edu in an attempt to economise. it will the notation camera.

Retrace my steps hoping to find a yellow box along the way. Park more or less in the same space at Lake Geneva but enter the lake where I exited the day before.

It was thankfully over cast but 3C and no snow meaning that the urban area was populated. I was trying to remember and re photograph what I had seen the day before but I knew that would be impossible with all those people about.

Well not all those people. I was thinking the myth of the upper Midwest where we are supposed to relish winter and the cold, skidoo-ing, ice fishing, cross country skiing. So where was everybody? My guess was that there were 30 people on the ice. I realise that Lake Geneva is where the FIBS come to play but again this is the time that the locals relish – no nasal whining, no Land of Lincoln number plates this time of year is almost perfect.

Nevertheless, there were too many people to keep out of the image frame. People comparing holes, looking at portable shelters, lugging things back and forth, Due to the warmth fishers even abandoning their huts to fish en plein aire.

I wandered to the remote unibomber huts really in the middle of the lake out where there were no tracks where the huts – two – seemed to have been since the lake froze over. It seemed that I was closer to Williams Bay than Lake Geneva.

Today I was out longer I kept doubling back to the chalet city when it looked like it was depopulating or at least people were shifting areas allowing me to attempt a photograph or two.

Forgot to stay away from the drilled holes and got a foot wet as it broke through one that was barely frozen over.

Photograph a man who made the mistake of talking to me. He also told me why there was this “built up area” – shallow water more fish come to feed.

Then found out that I was running out of film.

In running out of the house I thought that I had taken more good film but I had taken equal amounts of good and artista.edu. I was out of the good. I had to ration the film meaning that I was seeing more potential images, and deviating more – a stroll through the alleys close to the lake. I also wanted to head out on Powers Lake.

Not to worry I’ll use the cheap film - $1.40/roll versus $2.80/roll – on Powers Lake.

Powers Lake was deserted. There was a Verizon telephone van on the loading ramp with someone having lunch – a Wisconsin version of the Newfoundland nod when I pass. No tracks were leading to any of the chalets. They were arranged pretty much in a shallow crescent shape. It is powers Lake that we always hear about someone falling through.

I was going to take the 10x8 Hobo out to use up the film as I reckoned that none of what I was photographing would move that quickly, in the end I am glad I talked myself out of it due to the amount of images I made.

Then Joãozão started to act up. the shutter started to sound strange. I couldn’t pinpoint exactly when the change in sound came but once on land walking to photograph a tavern I looked into the shutter to see if it was opening.

It wasn’t. I would develop the film to see if it was mistaken but if this was the case, it would be the end of this camera, and I have pretty much decided not replace it with one of the three that I have found on the internet. This is not counting the one “Y” found as it is not a 67W which is important as I wanted that wide angle lens but a mere 67.I would simply rely on Ubaldo and Ziquinho.

A man parked his truck, got out his gear and headed out on the lake.

A car turned into the boat launch had a look at the lake and left.

The man from Verizon turned on the motor and drove off

I photographed a chalet stored in a parking space at the boat ramp.

I photographed the tavern, its sign across County Trunk F, some resort formalism before heading, holding the packs in my hand until I was safely in the car.
for AMM now P of 53545

No comments: