Saturday 28 July 2007

The downing of the show.

I find that I still try to cram too much into a day but also find that I allot way too much time so that it usually works out.

As soon as I got up went straight out to Pouch Cove to take down the show. Reckoned it wouldn’t take that long then I could head down to Hava Java and make a book before meeting up with Beth to talk about a possible exhibtion together – it seems that we both deal with detritus but I tend to leave it where it lays and she wants to pick it up and take it home. All this before1PM piece of cake.

The traffic wasn’t as frustrating as it can be going to Pouch Cove but that could be because I took Bauline Line in. Get to the school and it is locked. It has never been locked. Try other doors get in one but the inner door is locked. This will put an damper on everything as everyone was out late the night before and thus will still be a sleep walk over to Keith’s and luckily Dianne is up, tells me where the key is and I am in and taking down the show.

No panic little time wasted, only one print has visible signs of mould the others are just damp. Place them on some cardboard as I take them down and they seem to be soaking up the damp like a sponge on a wet surface. I look at a wall and can see baseball sized mould growing.

The work is down in less than 30 minutes. It fits in the Volvo – so what – I am to be homeless in a day and don’t have anyplace to store them. Leave them until I can find a home or a bonfire.

Almost hit a moose heading back into town. Try heading down Route 20 but construction has me turn around and in Pouch Cove Line one jumps out in front of the machine. Closer than anything in Woody Point.

In town needing my morning caffeine fix – but surprisingly less than when I am teaching – one café au lait does it. Drop off the snaps of Edward.

-so are you a tourist or what? When you first came in I thought you were a tourist but now I see you all the time – a server asks.
-I’m an unofficial one I come and stay until someone catches on.

Back to Auntie Crae’s to buy my baguette and Globe. There is another server named Trainée at the till.

Print the book but forgot that I would have to put it together and time was short. Feeling that I have to show something - more self-imposed pressure than anything Beth hinted at – I thought that I would make a book but in the end take over the layout and thinking that not enough the whole computer. I wanted to make sure that she still wanted to do this as it was mentioned after seeing only one snap – she seems to be one of the eight who reads these entries – and there was a lot to drink when I was over for dinner.

I have to remember that walks will take longer than in the States – where one tends to walk a bit more quickly to avoid the gunshots. Up pass the crowd in Charleton Street who are out so another chat and another image made.

Still have time.

Some Diana snaps – for some reason I feel like I should try again with the distancing that the camera does but I think all of that stuff is over – the digital seems to be taking the place of all things primitive. I say that now without having seen anything but feeling like I am forcing the issue with the Diana.

Stop to photograph two chairs symmetrically placed around a cat – I could do without the car - in Cabot Street. The owner comes out to chat thinking that I am a Leafs fan

-oh st. john’s I thought…
-habs fan!!! Leafs, gimme a break.
We discuss the value of the cap how I left one on a bus in Baltimore. HE shows me his pink white and green wrist band. I mention the Free NFLD ones at living planet. He hands me his.

I try to make the snap but he still stands there. I can only hope that they will be there when I come back – they weren’t.

Still have time – barely.

Crossing LeMarchant Road at Longs Hill.
-got a cigarette?
-don’t smoke.
-you know that they robbed a tourist here a couple of days ago and broke into another one’s car.
-I know seen a lot of RNC around this time back when I first came hardly heard a siren.
-it is the drugs this is a drug area, cocaine, oxycontin, it hit the island two years back this area has a lot.

am now late.

Nice place. If I had to live in the city it would be perfect – except for the lack of view. nice size good back garden and we sat outside. Debated the etiquette of detritus – would I photograph something that had been touched by a “hoarder” would a “hoarder” still take something that had been “documented”.

Arrived at a date more or less and would let everything go to see what happens – personally for my work I want small work I also want triptychs so as move them from the ikon to the metaphor. I also want a casual hanging.

Chats about the art world, the types who choose Newfoundland – I see a similarity to those who were in the colonies during the British Empire – briefly (did I write that!) the locals, the one’s who are out there hoping for better things back in the mother country and are growing more embittered by the day and those who stay on because they like the place.

Walked back wanting to clean the streets of litter so that Beth will have nothing to pick up.

No comments: