Monday 2 July 2007

I had to prove to myself that the day wasn’t awash because we had dinner with Peter and Julia and their year old son Samuel and it was now 3PM. I had to prove to myself that physically not intellectually that the day was still young.

I had also to see how travel with someone where the friendship had been based mostly on the written word, and distance and not in a physical presence so after a bit a drive down route 10 to Fermeuse, the excuse to see the church and rock that Fennelly had said “ First thing that is not Port Kirwen it is Fermeuse.” He would know he lived there. Also wanted to show property that I had found in Witless Bay – spring training for drives?

Pulling off and seeing that the house that was vacant in January and that fit in with the houses around it was now fixed up and a different colour. Scratch one from the list. Heading down to the beach at the ecological reserve. What could be the last ice berg of the season was in the cove. A stroll along the beach, realising that I am far away from the WGAS as I am being told with the balance of passion and knowledge about something. Talking to someone who bring the outside into their work, In this case the ocean, right now seeing it kelp. Think on how people choose their interests and to what depth one seems necessary, think on how close all of the good artists were to geekdom, think about how little I know about something that is part the reason that I am here.

Another person documented as I photograph the person who was running the interpretive centre, whom we caught eating his spaghetti.

We continue south me wondering how much has changed since I have done the loop, look for the familiar and the new. Was trying to see if the oddities were still about.

The first hitchers of the season as just outside Ferryland we pick up tow kids heading to Fermeuse. Small talk asked if there would be salmon in ithe run in Aquaforte. Told them that there was a condition for the ride. That would have to be photographed.

Showing my professionalism, I made three photographs with the lens cap on Ziquinho. Tell them to stop as I do it again.

The erractic and the church looked more impressive in real life than it does in the photograph, me constantly pushing things away with the wide angle lens.

In homage to Fennelly, head into Port Kirwen – it was also to see if it the basketball hoops were still standing – nope.

Gasoline and Salt and Vinnies for the trip back diverting into Brigus South – the protected cove – maybe a little Thaddeus envy as I forgot about the image of the church yard. Pulled out the Diana to photograph the gutting tables – it seems to be my new object of curiosity don’t know why as I sort of made a pretty definitive one in Curzon Village. Noticed however that and objects being held down by rocks were becoming a theme. Was back into photographing things rather than making formal images. I was also looking at the mixes – salt box giant satellite dish. Up on the rocks, tidal pools, it is pointed out that what I thought was ocean depth distances were in effect not, that what I saw as foam was where plankton congregate. Having seen the work that came from this knowledge at the show at Eastern Edge.

Photograph a family leaving a house – don’t know if they even said anything. It seems that my modus operandi is changing now I may even start the conversation – some things surreal before making a mental note that while three years ago Brigus South would have been unacceptable now it had potential.

I like the people in Pouch Cove but the place is feeling less like an outport and more like a suburb. While Brigus and Bauline East – the next stop – were on the Irish Loop they seemed more isolated from the area than Pouch which is at the end of the road.

Bauline East a basketball hoop as I found out that Fennelly was also photographing them in homage to the Newfoundland NBA player – the race is on.

Two more hitchhikers into Bay Bulls where I was told that I frightened them with my camera and because I said when there were already in the machine and going at 80k/m that there would be a condition.

Photographed them outside the Foodland where I raced in to get some tomatoes, apples and butter as the convenience doesn’t carry it.

My calm restored, what I knew about the Rock reinforced – the days are longer here work came freely.

No comments: