Saturday 20 August 2005

FINALLY MEETING MARTIN AND GABRIELLE CHEZ EUX (moi)



Am still getting my footing around St. John’s. woke up with the sun at the pipe house. Jim taking a shower first while I was on the phone. Forgot to make coffee – which could be a good sign for while it meant that I was distracted I didn’t get my lack of caffeine headache. I cannot remember a day when I went without coffee.

Once again it took forever to get going and nothing in Pouch was making it any easier. Wasn’t running into the usual suspects. Missed Henry and his early morning coffee at Bruce’s, missed the morning group looking out at the cove, missed Sharon on her walk, missed Russell Langmead when I headed over to Martin and Gabrielle’s. It looked as if they were not up yet.

It was then – well it was the fact that I had roughly $20 - that I remembered that I had a cheque awaiting me at THE ROOMS CORPORATION.

My head cleared heading in and I also remembered that the machine was overdue for a oil change so out past the Avalon Mall to the Saturn/Saab dealer to schedule one.

The next opening was 29 August and while it would be tempting to stay on for that – it would be a hard decision who wouldn’t want to return to the greatest photography department in the greatest art school of all creation – I thought not. I was told that perhaps perhaps if I brought the machine in at three they may be able to do it then.

Headed to the ROOMS CORPORATION. Entered the monstrosity on the old Fort Townsend site which it there were a few potted plants would like a hotel lobby.

Lost on the far side was the admissions stand – no reciprocal agreement with other ROOMS. Asked for Wanda Mooney or Caroline Stone. Wanda was off Caroline came out.

Hadn’t a clue as to who I was – after all how could they keep track of three artists in residence that go to Gros Morne every year. I said that I was here for my cheque that was awaiting me.

A pause. It seems that Wanda Mooney was off because her mother had died and the cheque was locked in her office. I said that ai was assured that I could pick up the cheque here and off we went to look for it.

Talking to someone who seemed to know, she said that the cheque had been posted to the US. Blew a gasket. I was broke was expecting the $500, they said that it would be here for me.

She said since I didn’t show up they sent it on. I said that the residency ended yesterday when exactly did they expect me to show up? Should I have spent $120 in gasoline to pick up a $500 cheque?

They could cut me another one. How long would that take ten days. So I would be in the States when it was ready?

I should have expected it. Who can take an art entity called THE ROOMS – seriously especially when they have fired their director last week. I had dealt with Parks Canada, I should have been prepared but my guard was down. I was still in the afterglow of Bonne Bay.

Caroline made the mistake of asking how the experience with the park was and got an earful from the fact that no one above Jessica and Kris even bothered to get in touch through the outright hatred of the park by the townspeople to the laissez-faire attitude of the administration on some things but tight fistedness on others.

Boy was she sorry.

Parked in Gower Street, headed into the family barber shop and had George cut my hair. The article from the Newfoundland Quarterly was on the wall complete with the large sized picture of them to the pictures of Ricco in Milwaukee that I sent them.

Over to Jim’s to email people and await lunch. Angela came in and I had a chat we joked with each other. She asked about Kendra and said that she liked her from the photograph I had sent lifetimes ago. She asked about the residency and I mistakenly showed her the slide show of the residency at ofoto.com and she saw the photographs of Patricia’s birthday party and Samantha.

Lunch was at the Duke – pint of Smithwicks with chips and a spinach salad. Glad to be back where vegetarians aren’t spit at but missed Earle’s wise arsed crack about grazing on her lawn as it needed mowing. The place was split into two groups those at the bar and those far away from it. Someone was sitting in Baird’s Cove so we chose alternative seats. Spoke to Ros about her stint on the CBC Newsworld. Jim gave me some advice that was befitting an evil twin.

I raced off to the oil change. Well not raced, Forgot about all the machines in St. John’s and how they barely get up to the speed limit. I had noticed this between Pouch and St. John’s where once one would have been mowed down going only 10k/h over now one barely can get to the limit.

Surprisingly they fit the car in and surprisingly it was finished early. In the meantime feeling lost headed over to Chapters but couldn’t concentrate. Felt at a loss, uprooted, while everything felt familiar nothing felt comfortable.

The machine finished I headed back to the gallery picked up some stuff to take back to Pouch – Jim was headed to Brigus South – and while I wasn’t ready to head out I had no money for a pint at the Duke so out it was. Stopped at Kent’s to buy a knife hoping that I could start printing at the school.

Remembered that I hadn’t seen Martin and Gabrielle yet and headed over to say hello – not to hasten their departure heavens no it is after all their place. They had been at Angela’s last evening when I passed by but now turning the corner in Sullivan’s Loop, Gabrielle saw me. She was on the phone ringing Angela wondering where I was and when I would be over.

A short visit turned into supper at their place. Beer first as we chatted in the living room. Showed some of my snaps. Then wine with dinner – spinach ravioli with roasted peppers– strike two for the carnivorous deaf Trout River bartender.

We chatted about everything from books to newspapers – he is a correspondent for Swiss Radio - to art and back again. Martin was reading a book a day while here. It was my first time meeting Martin. Gabrielle was supposedly relaxing but really couldn’t. it seems that like me she has to be working – writing in here case - to be happy.

It was what I needed not only because they reaffirmed my welcome at their place but we even came up with a plan which will never come to fruition where a car – since we have three - could be left to save on rentals. I arrived at 6 and stayed until 11PM and while Pouch was still a bir foreign to me they helped me readjust. It was raining when I left.

Pouch has changed, the RNC seem to be cruising the town a great deal. I remember when I first came I never saw a cop now it is hourly. There is more noise, from ATVs to music, more traffic and more people from St. John’s moving out.

Went to the pipe house shut the door and like the old days put my feet out the window over the Atlantic and wrote the day’s entry

No comments: