Thursday 25 August 2005

WOODY POINT LIFE (again)



For some reason I still awoke at the same time as I had but now I don’t dally, I had a reprieve and wanted to make the most of it. Trout River Earle was taking me to the Sunset Café for breakfast before heading to the Seabreeze, I had a snap to give to Bonnie and I was ready for Bonne Bay barbs flying fast and furious. I think that Clyde Rose came into the club to see what would happen. No preliminaries this day with warm ups at Granite Coffee straight into it on her home turf. Don’t know if it is heartening or worrisome when after ordering Bonnie – and/or her daughter say “no meat” but it cannot be any worse than the Brake turned Earle who demanded that Bonnie put both salt and pepper in her egg and when it came with so much brine that the Dead Sea would be considered sweet, Bonnie retorted next time come back and salt your own eggs. I know that I am not the only vegetarian in Gros Morne I can only surmise that the others don’t venture out to eat.

It seemed that the entire area knew that Elaine was going to the wedding with me, so the conversation centred around who would survive the outing. It would be the topic of conversation everywhere that day.

Breakfast finished, I planned on trying to fill in the blanks of places that I had missed but since it was already about 1PM Rocky Harbour was out of the question. We headed over the falls in Middle Brook that Irving and Crystal told me about.

My townie ways vanished. Instead of trying to over do the day, I would look for minor achievements acting as if I would return and do all that which I missed would then be accomplished. Headed back to the Seabreeze – after checking my e-mail – one from the art school that all others envy – to be trounced yet again in pool – I need to learn how to play like a girl.

Went out to photograph the papier maché moose that was in Curzon Village before heading over to the Legion to play bingo – more later – in my usual way of working I ended up wandering a bit – more Dominion bags hanging around a veg garden, this time with Gros Morne and the tickle in the background, more wood piles a snap of a worker up at the Discovery Centre building a shed, a couple of sheds, a few laundry lines - and to make matters worse I loaded one roll incorrectly – not boding well for the wedding.

Checked e-mail again and in true Bonne Bay fashion got a lift for the three block distance to the legion.

This was serious, Elaine needed her table, Marilyn was there saving it but the seats were wrong, how would Marilyn, Elaine, Shirley and Ina fit not to mention the novices, Brud and me. There were a half dozen sitting arrangements before it was decided.

I got what seemed like the phone book for Western Newfoundland’s thickness of bingo cards, all in a sheet. The hearing impaired barkeep allowed me to use one of her daubers. Everyone had a version of red except Marilyn who had blue – blue supposedly doesn’t bring luck.

Was almost as bad at this as I was at pool, I couldn’t manage the six cards per game that I had – Brud only had three – smart chap. Marilyn kept looking over saying that I missed a number on one card or another.

I acted like a proof reader after that.

Thought that a bingo was a simple affair five across down or diagonal but no. There were “Y”s “T”s, “X”s full cards and mail
boxes.

Said good-bye yet again to Paul and Amy’s mum, she asked if I were stopping by before I left.

Toward the end we all became – well almost all – a bit silly as Ina and I started trading jokes, I blame it on the beer. Once again I started to miss numbers and couldn’t keep up.


But shock, horror, I won, not only did I win but I won alone brining in $25.00. I think that I even came out ahead for I only bought $15 in cards. Better still Earle had wanted to pool cards and as she won twice – but having to share – it was a lucrative evening and to celebrate Earle, Shirley, Brud and me headed over to the Rusty Jigger where we saw Amy and her boyfriend. In a fit of optimism thinking that if I bet in the loonie pool I would be there when I one – bet once again.



Made it through the gulch twice with no moose sightings boding well for the trek – yet again across the island.

No comments: