Friday 12 August 2005

THAT WACKY CFA DUO minus one


Couldn’t decide whether to stay up or take a short nap as I had to drive Kendra to the airport in Deer Lake at 3:30AM. It is only an hour ride but at night I was told to go more slowly due to moose. 3:30 is only 90 minutes later than I have been going to bed recently and thus the debate tough it out or a quick nap.

The nap won and it did seem to help. Strange to think that this would be the last outing we would do on the rock but it was typical as soon as we were in the machine. The talk began. It didn’t end until I pulled into the Tim Horton’s on the Trans Canada.

By the way Kendra was acting I would guess she either hadn’t any sleep or had drunk all the coffee in Bonne Bay.

That we had become used to Bonne Bay was apparent as when seeing the lights of Deer Lake we were shocked. Hadn’t seen so many lights bunched together in a long time. I had been complaining about the few lights in Woody Point as it lessened the night sky, now Deer Lake looked enormous.

Incident at the Tim Horton’s
Kendra – I’ll have a large coffee and a blueberry bagel
RC-D – I’ll have an extra large double double and cranberry muffin
Time Horton’s – What do you want in your coffee my love?
Kendra (baffled) -…uh… coffee?
RC-D (whispering) – Cream? Sugar?

Like asking Patricia when her birthday was on her birthday coupled with her fatigue, this kept her in stitches until she got into the security area of the airport.

The airport reminded me of St. John’s before it got pretensions imtimate more like a bus depot than and airport. Stood with her through check in, the baggage check then went out to parking lot to watch her walk to the plane. Saw her lumbering gait leave the terminal, cross the tarmac and climb the steps, Minutes later she was in the air headed pointed toward Corner Brook headed for Halifax and the world.

That all seems a lifetime ago to me, can barely remember a time before Bonne Bay, vaguely remember pulling up to the Parks Canada booth in Route 430 and announcing myself – and saying that I would be back to take her picture. Seem to remember the trip out to St. John’s but it all seems like the distant past. Looking at the desperate tourists trying Pete’s door on Sunday remember the time that I was doing the same. Still haven’t really planned for Sunday being a day of rest.

Grown to like the routine that I got into here- the breakfasts when hungry, just before the outing of the day, the constant chatter in the machine, don’t think there have been better crit sessions nor will there ever be. The afternoon beer, which again seems like we have been doing it forever was a recent modification of the day. Supper which seemed without looking to be at 7:00 and on the picnic table in the garden.

The developing of film with a beer during the rinse times.

No matter how I would try I know that this would change.

Thinking that the return trip would be easier – and faster – since the sun would be up and I wouldn’t have to worry about moose, I raced up 430 to just past Cormack where – of course - there were three moose standing in the middle of the road. Turned off my lights stopped and waited.

The ride down 431 to Bonne Bay was even more awe inspiring. Never have done it this early in the morning and the light was just hitting the Tablelands in the distance. Try to be patient for I think I know how long the road is but am always a bit taken aback when I think I am almost there and I am only in Lomond.

Seeing the bay in Glenburnie again has me thinking that it is not long now but again it seems to take forever to get to Woody Point. It was longer without the talks, the poining of things odd, the attempt to read new meaning into the pictograms. Wondered what Bonne Bay would think now that one half of that wacky yank CFA couple was gone.

Kendra’s departure only heightened my feelings of mine. Didn’t want to sleep but collapsed for two hours, didn’t want to waste time sleeping so I did what I usually do stop eating.

Awake and it being a nice sunny day headed over to Trout River one last time.

It seems that enlightenment came lately this trip, while I had been ranting against the park, I was still doing work that was mainly landscape even though it was in populated areas. My hope was to show how despite the park people here do live in balance with nature and do respect it. I wanted to show that life is a bit harder here and thus people make good use of materials. Wood piles were degradation of the forest but a useful way of heating ones home in the long winters, laundry lines – even though most centred on what was on the line and wondered why I was photographing dirty underwear – was again a great use of nature, sun and wind to not waste other resources. Indirectly I was celebrating the province’s resourcefulness – laudable as the province is so resource rich, water, oil, and never gets any profit from it.

Things seep slowly into my brain. I am over in Trout River eating at The Take Out with Marilyn, Elaine and Kendra - they want to show me the notorious Muriel who is in Corner Brook. I am at the Sunset Café at the top of the hill talking to yet another cousin, I am joking with Linda and Viola at Granite Coffee – names ok so far editorial board at the 3T’s? – I see Pete and Amanda in Pete’s I am talking to Bruce Martin and his father comes out so I make a snap of them at the garage. It hits me make snaps of those who actually work here at their establishments.

I was over in Trout River to start the process.

It was the best of starts I put it to fatigue. After breakfast at the Sunset, I went down the road under construction to photograph two woodpiles. Took out the Hobo and everything was Hunky Dory©, then saw two ikonic sheds across the road reached in to get the Deardorff and tripod. Set it up then reached for the lens… back in Woody Point.

On the way back talked to two road workers and made a snap when the bevy of Brake’s passed, first Amy and her mother in her mother’s car, then Paul. Don’t mind the ride through the gulch, had to photograph the cross again and did like talking with the road workers. It also wasted some time.

Bonnie wasn’t in at the Sunset that morning, Muriel, and Marlene at the Interpretation Centre – who as at a family reunion. Photographed Brandie instead.

Used the Deardorff, a mistake from the onset as both of us were nervous, I didn’t want to waste their time and they were self conscious. Luckily brought Ubirajara and made some more as I am hoping that the people will be more relaxed in those.Saw Wade Barnes and Gilbert Crocker across the street and photographed them with the Deardorff and then again with ‘Bira, Gilbert senior took me out to where his cod was drying hanging on the line and had me make snaps of him with it. Want to make images like this as it shows the resourcefulness of the province people – people other places have vegetable gardens why wouldn’t a sea faring land have places to dry and salt fish but am afraid it will be misread quaint.

Sandra ran into the house.

Laundry line potential across the street.

Headed to the port to make a digital panorama and I seemed to remember other snaps made when I was there. As usual I forgot what I wanted made a snaps of. Made two of the sheds and tried some Newfoundland formalism before heading up to Bonnie’s.

It wasn’t the best of moments. I couldn’t decide where I wanted to make the snap, with the sign behind her, on the deck seated, standing. The light wasn’t the best but although most realise this whole time here has been a period of photographic experimentation.

To make things better there were some wonderful people who seemed baffled by the array of soft serve flavours. One had a look at the camera and made some comment.

The snap was ok nothing great, I was too tense she was too tense as I mentioned.

Headed over to Muriel’s who wasn’t there but did photograph April before heading back, I had run out of film. Made the snap in the gulch of the cross, went home to reload and head back.

A phone call from Kendra in the throes of culture shock, she was on the “L”. I forgot about all the noise in big cities.

She was there when I returned and like the regatta I drew a crowd people from the houses on the other side of the road. Set up and again while I tried to calm down I feel that I am putting people out and I rush. Made 6 snaps to make sure and still feel nothing came out.

Dragged out ‘Bira and tried to work while I was having some chips. Muriel introduced me to her daughter and wanted a snap of the two made.

All of a sudden she was relaxed, I made a closer snaps two them one where Joanna was blurred but the other was fine.

Left quite pleased. my old habits were back. Unfortunately my old habits were back. Supper was a bowl of cerial Headed straight for the darkroom to see what I had done, the evening ritual of preparing supper and having it on the picnic table went with Kendra.

No comments: