Wednesday 24 August 2005

FROM COAST TO COAST TO COAST- to coast to coast to coast.


Well here I am at Granite Coffee after crossing the province once again. This time to make it interesting in a constant downpour coupled with the streams from the tyres of the juggernaut.

Left at 7AM with the plan of entering the Seabreeze by the front door, walking through it and leaving by the side door. I reckoned that it would take about eight hours and it did. I saw it as practice for next Sunday when it will be the real thing.

It was the usual stopping at the Tim’s in Major’s Path for the extra large double double and then the Trans Canada. Reckoned to make Gander before stopping but the double double had me stopping in Whitbourne and then again in Goobies. My butt hurts, I don’t think that I’ll be able to bend my knee again but I am back until Thursday.

Despite this the trip wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The wireless helps. Even in it diminished capacity Radio One made the time fly and truth be told except for what replaced the Current it is not that much the worse for wear.

The constant rain began to wear on me especially when I entered areas of the Trans Canada that I am not all that familiar with – the Badger to Deer Lake stretch. Between the hydroplaning and the potholes, I made good time and again have an idea as to when I will have to make this final journey. I was in “got to make time” mode chomping at the bit for the passing lanes, using a machine from Québec for the pace car. No RCMP. The constant rain did have me concentrating – I think for I did notice scenery that I hadn’t noted before. The rock is nothing if it isn’t weather. The grey heightening the pine, the fog cutting off the summits of the mountains, the water of the Exploits, Gander Lake and the bogs being brighter than the sky. Still want to make a slow outing across the Rock and now that I am bicoastal like all those townies who come out to The Great Northern, I am sure that I shall.

Never expected to be Bicoastal

I like m(artin and Gabrielle’s)y place in Pouch I like watching the waning light on the new front deck, the sound of the ocean after dark is nicely soothing. I get a lot of work done there in relative isolation.

I am glad that I saw Russell and Shirley, joked with Henry, finally met Joe Dunphy. Liked my Smithwicks at the Duke while reading the Globe. Had my Big Zig at Ziggy Peelgood’s, my samosas at Auntie Crae’s, ventured into THE ROOMS, saw Christina Parker, Sold some stuff at the opening of James Baird @ Pouch Cove, which is an ego boost.


I miss however the abuse heaped on me at the Seabreeze lounge by half deaf, cod tongued bar keep.


Seeing the barachois at Glenburnie, I looked for Woody Point. It must have been high tide as the water was lapping up against the boardwalk, did the mental road marks, the B&B, Katie’s cove, Kris’s place, George’s and Irvings and Crystal’s place, Bailey’s Point, Darlene’s, Crystal’s, the overlook with all the digital camera’ed wonderful people. Made a loop around the town passing The 3T’s Pete’s the Chicken Coop and up Blanchard Road before heading over to Granite Coffee. Passing the residency, I looked for signs of life. No one seemed to be using the picnic table.

Waited the usual 20 minutes to get a tea. Being here though I wasn’t in a hurry, after all I am homeless now, and have plenty of time to waste. Had bought a Telegram and Globe to pass the time and when I had read them I had the daybook to work on. Talked to Linda about the writers festival, the mayor being in the Telegram. I saw him with Sheilagh Rogers while I was looking for the quote that I gave a the opening as I need more lines on the CV so that I can once again humiliate myself at the Art School which is to art schools what the roman empire was to empires in an attempt to become full professor.

We chatted about the progression of the weather, the fact that I looked tired – reminded her that I was homeless. She mentioned that since I was here in the rain it must be love.

Spent some time watching some wonderful people asking about the car ferry to Norris Point – it stopped some 15 years ago - about the brown mountains – the Tablelands, was Trout River a dead end, was Woody Point the same, would they have to take the same way back to the highway. Their tea was wonderful.

Hayden – is the correct spelling editors at the 3T’s – saw me and headed over to the Seabreeze to announce my arrival. Spoiling the grand entry. News travels fast but here also people are supportive and protective.

Got the key and the mobile and took a nap Bonne Bay and Gros Morne seen the window, further than the ocean from Sullivan’s Loop but for some reason that doesn’t matter.

Smithwicks tastes better than Labatt’s Light but I don’t care.

No comments: