Friday 15 June 2007

bringing the work ethic south

As my sister doesn’t reset her web browser, I wasn’t hard to search her out when I began to feel trapped in the loft decided to go for a marl and catch up with her.

Wandered down Church to Reade and was in front of her old place, looking for the hairdressers – Connection Beauty Spa - that she had roped my niece into, but she saw me first. Out she comes running mobile phone glued to the ear in the New York fashion.

She had me come in as the place was owned by Brasilians and wanted to see me make a fool of myself by saying that I speak Portuguese as some sort of pet that can do party tricks.

You’d think she’d know by now.

Yes after a few pleasantries – I do speak there are few mistakes there is a carioca accent – which I correct saying it is a fluminense – Niterói and the old state of Rio not the city – accent but I’ve heard that I sound like a hick from the northeast – sounds better in Portuguese.

One by one they came over to chat and then in Portuguese mentioned that this wasn’t my sister that I was following her as she had kidnapped a young woman and was trying to get over to Jersey – laughing all the time so that my monolingual sibling would have no clue.

Needed the practice but losing myself in the chats I forgot my role in life - to document anyone who talks to me - went back the next day.


Somehow they remembered me.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"As my sister doesn’t reset her web browser"...I am not really sure I like sound of this...

Anonymous said...

Oh that post made me laugh so hard I spit oatmeal on the screen