Saturday 30 June 2007

My day part one


The day of the hanging. It shouldn’t take that much time, simple alligator clips wanted to use clothes pegs as when I am not photographing the people in their clothes I am photographing the clothes in the wind. It was to be an afternoon endeavour as there was an evening soiree – not it is not French remember Baie d’espoir is pronounced bay despair – at the evil twin’s. Being a long weekend I had to exchange some worthless Bush Dollars for the ever more valuable Harper ones and I had to do it without crying.

Then it was to those great Canadian Institutions Staples and Michael’s to buy the alligator clips and four cheap frames – hey I am not some Mercedes SUV driving faux French named artist – I’m artist-bayman.

In the Gallery I was shocked it had been cleaned since the last time I was there. I was told that the car had been moved out since I had been in to look at the prints someone had actually tried to sweep. Nevertheless we swept again.

Must admit hanging a show with someone. It wasn’t for the aid in hanging but to be able to run ideas by. It seems that I seem to pick the most obvious associations then try to break them only to find that I have fallen into another obvious link.

This wasn’t necessarily pointed out but when stating how she would have placed the images, the point was made. I had arrived at ikon on each wall surrounded with more and more whimsy. Only one wall had to be hung due to the paper, it metamorised so much that I could only put them together, placed next to the paper I started with they stood out in their greenishness.

Made only one mistake and the show was hung in only four hours – it seemed like a lot longer and fatigue was setting in. Thought that I would have too many images but no it was just right. 22 murals 4 small prints, hung higher than usual due to the height of the wall when one enters the gallery – it was a basketball court for the school.

Raced back to Petty Harbour to change for the soiree.

Back in Pouch Cove, I am fashionably late, say hello to my evil twin’s mum, one of the resident’s mum came up – it is horrible when the resident’s mum’s come up to talk to you and not the residents – and made some inane comment – they had wandered through when we were hanging the show.

The twin told me to get a beer and true to form I begin to trash the place by opening the patio door to death – there is only scaffolding over the North Atlantic – and proceed to pull off the screen down and have it almost plummet into the sea.

Now everyone is looking at me the twin saying why didn’t you simply get one from the cooler. I thought that he kept it in the “wine cellar” as he did all winter long.

Was about to leave – but another person who had seen the show and had a constant grin on his face came up to talk.

He lives in T.O. but his home is Pouch Cove. They had heard about the residency and drove up to see what Pouch Cove was about. The residency was closed so they tooled around the Avalon then returning for one last look to see if it was open found a house and bought it – I could kill him and is constant smile. His partner is an artist I didn’t bother to remember what he did. Luckily evil twin’s sister came over to chat.

Was about to leave when I saw Kennedy so a quick chat, the twin comes over to ask about and ousted resident trying to make a joke about it but being a friend which I recommended I don’t see the joke. Kennedy backs away slowly.

A picture is made, I leave for the cottage not really looking forward to Sunday at all.

No comments: