Thursday 21 June 2007

So in my hyperactive way, I have developed the film I used up when in NYC. Just realised that I used a leiquinha that just before leaving for points east, had ruined 4 rolls. I reckon that the facility that had me forget what was on those rolls –sort of – also had me forget that I was trusting an outing to the same camera and film.

This time bought new hc-110 that after all the pixtures of Mediterranean countries, had to convince myself not to take a swig.

The negs show promise. They are strange there seems to be the effect of what 35mm looked like in the 50’s part Dave Heath, part Robert Frank, part U.S Camera Annual. Haven’t printed them yet – the downfall of 35mm with me they fill neg sleeves nicely never ever to leave – but scanned some as to threaten my sister and e-mail to the Brasilians at the Spa.

There seems to be this nice halation along with the randomly placed grain that I thought was long gone except for some Photoshop filter that only a digiot would know about. It looked like my lens had never been cleaned – which is incorrect as I had wiped it with my shirt constantly.

I wasn’t worrying as I usually do about having everything in focus – mauzy most of the time I was there which meant that I had to choose – with varying degrees of success - what would be in focus but those areas that are out of focus are so nice and soft.

The only thing that I can attribute the quality to is the film, Arista.edu Ultra – Fomapan from the Czech Republic which is probably made to the 1950’s formula of Tri-X. With the big photographic manufacturers only paying lip service to film and even then making products that pretty much are indistinguishable from one another, I am thankful for the “micro breweries” of the photographic world.

No comments: