Friday 8 June 2007

It was the wrong way ...



to start the day, racing about getting ready to run errands, but having time to develop the four rolls that were sitting from the Leiquinhas. Feel like some bad fibre student taking photo for the first time but all four rolls were ruined. They were ruined as I don’t use the developer for the Leiquinhas all that much and it was way past its date. Four perfectly clear rolls – no markings outside the frame at all.

Was glad that it was 35mm as I never remember what is on the rolls too many images and I guess that this hints at me not taking the format seriously even though I try.

Then I did remember some – a pity someone I hadn’t seen in three years, the biker messenger that I had chatted with outside Cal’s. I also realised that recently being so indecisive that I had made the same images – more or less in colour.

This happens at the wrong time as I have just booked a ticket to Baltimore to head up to NYC for my nephew’s graduation and had thought about robert franking it with 35mm only – in truth thought about only 35mm as I wouldn’t have time anyone on the eastern seaboard and thus might as well try to really make some charm city post cards.

Headed out wondering if I should take a Leiquinha at all. Reckoned that I better get up and try immediately or I would never use it. Took Joãozão also. The fifty miles into Chicago took 40 minutes to the Kennedy then another 60 minutes to get downtown. A gasbar was selling a gallon of regular for $4.00 but it didn’t seem to change any habits.

Little errands made major – prescription for the cat, up to the Main Magazine Stand in Evanston to pick up some art magazines instead picked up Orion, 8 and Art on Paper.

Made a snap – using Joãozão - of an entryway to a condo blocked from the inside by a tree.

Over to Paper Source to try to find a match for one of the remnants I have on hand to finish making a portfolio for Pouch Cove. Paper Source is more a shop for the fake blonded decaffed lattè drinking Starbuckians looking for something whimsical for their next tête-à-tête more than a source of handmade papers.

Saw a cicada – that makes eight.

Raced over to Bristol to drop off the daily postings and was on the way when along County Trunk C just east of County Trunk MB there were two women waving at passers-by from their long driveway.

Circled the block – which is about three miles – and pulled into the driveway . I could see the “oh oh what have we done” look on their face. Went through the same spiel I give on the rock – translated for people south of the 49th. No “yes b’y” no “lovely day” There was the giggle a trend toward no then yeah sure – this is cool.

Two photographs made with Joãozão – only remembered the Leiquinha when it was all over – told them that they know me at the Bristol Post Office and I would leave word there if the snaps turned out.

-This was the best yet, I heard as I got back in the machine, hoping that they would turn out.

A good way to begin the evening.

No comments: