Sunday 17 June 2007

Ok so I am not driving to the rock – the snaps were too big and even I cannot see myself bombing up the Trans-Canada with my type of packing duct taped to the roof. This means not seeing the southern shore of the St. Lawrence and if the villages become more isolated the closer I make it to the Gaspé. It, now, simply means a circular tour around the island to see those things that I would have while rambling to the Avalon.

I am writing all of this to stave off any sort of laziness on my part thinking that if it is in the public view – an average of 17 – I will be more likely to follow through – even though there is a long history of public embarrassment on my part.

I had already wanted to spend more time in the Barrens and walk the path between St. Shott’s and Cape Pine. IF I am brave enough – the road is pretty rough – I’d like to see mistaken point. My excuse is so that I can see a village that said no to Joey Smallwood’s relocation scheme and the closest landfall to the Titanic.

I want to drive coast to coast to coast and the only coast left is the route up the Great Northern – having down the entire island portion of the Trans Canada. I want get to the tip not to see the Viking site but to look across the Gulf to Labrador - and well to see if where Annie Proulx supposedly stays is any better than where I do.

Looking across waters and at maps had me remembering that France was off the Burin Peninsula facing West. Another excuse to see more of the island off the Avalon and away from the Trans Canada.

Speaking of which there is Buchans and which looks about as far inland and one can get and substituting for the road to Burgeo – since I won’t be heading over in that direction the roads to Harbour Breton or Bay d’Espoir – or any road that seems to have a destination and nothing in between.

Like the all plans these probably will be modified and to no detriment on the outcome. The main objectives are the Great Northern and the Barrens, which has me wondering why I keep putting off the supposedly the most Newfoundlandish area of the island – the Bonavista.

Calumet has backordered some film so I ordered 100 more rolls from Freestyle, if it all comes there will be 250 if not about 150. Everything is falling into place. A lot depends on what I can do after my return from the east coast.

No comments: