Tuesday 12 August 2008

I hinted at this in an earlier entry

but to-day it became more evident – given the choice of walking on the earth’s mantle in this stunningly beautiful landscape and wandering a town that it barely holding it together I chose the later. I chose it because it really does seem that I need the human. Not the human in theory but humanity. While it is probably manifesting itself more in the snaps that I am taking, and again more in film than in digits, it is not the scene but what is in it. My new cluttered formalism is now less about how lines cut into other surfaces and more about trying to mirror the marvellous clutter I see – again more in Trout River than in Rocky Harbour – I still remember buddy down in Sewanee saying how bleak my snaps of up here are and still am puzzled as – as I have stated – I find them rife with just the opposite. I was here I am still here –as loved our fathers so we love where once they stood we stand – being over here again and looking around the discovery centre for a hint that I was here and finding none – except for Anita and Sandy remembering me from the “daily’s” that Jessica put up – I realised why, 90% of the images i made on the residency weren’t done in the park but in the communities that surround it. One doesn’t find moose guards in Western Brook Pond. Speeding back through the gulch I did want to make some snaps of the Tablelands – those telegraph poles were so cool.

No comments: