Friday 8 August 2008

If the regatta doesn’t go…


It didn’t so it was a day of little chores. Took the machine into TJ’s after dropping Baleful the steward off at Hava Java then up for the oil change which took less time than I thought.

This was a relief and a curse as it meant that I was out sooned but it also meant more time to try to do something before tea with the bairds at the Duke – a fish and chips and a pint of storm tea.

Headed back to Hava Java myself to have my three juice drink – inside due to the rain then down to Auntie Crae’s for a Globe before a little walk about downtown.

Ran into Baleful coming out of the Sally Ann but ditched her more or less at Afterwords when I headed back to the machine to head back to Pouch Cove for a walk in the woods before I had to head into town again.

Saw Beth having a smoke in her jammies – at the life of working at home – and stopped to chat for a bit before I had to head back and she really had to work. It looks that she, Ray and I won’t be able to meet up as they are leaving for Steady Brook the day before we depart for Rocky Harbour. This is a trip of misses Tom Basha was not in the barber shop in Corner Brook, The Family Barber shop is closed, due to the lateness of the Regatta no Montréal bagels and it goes on and on.

Before I used to grouse about Route 20 from the length of the drive now it is has been made worse by the lowering of the speed limit to 50 k/h and having a double line all the way out. It reminds me of driving in Florida except here you can see the drivers.

Instead – thanks to the influence of Baleful – my mother wants to hit the Sally Ann again. She has never shopped a thrift shop now she is heading in for a second time for her fall wardrobe.

Driving in to St. John’s, the evil twin passes me as I am climbing the hill out of Pouch Cove

I dropped her off headed down Water Street to Auntie Crae’s to buy two baguettes still hot then back to pick her up.

It seems that when upon entering my mum had a personal shopper for her – Marianne – as she was ready to check out. A few snaps of her – who couldn’t believe her age but then thought that I was her husband then more of the people having a smoke out by the car, Mentioned something about Salvation Army road kill.

Still an hour to kill so I park the machine in Gower Street – where it is free – who cares how steep the hill is the eldery can roll down it – as she wants to hit a cd shop to buy some classical music for the trip back – it seems that Radio One will be pre-empted by the three tenors. We hit Fred’s where everyone else was combing the indigenous music shelves we were hitting the used classical area – one bin.

Checking out I wore my sunglasses and pull down my baby leafs cap as far as it would go.

We were a bit early but decided that my mum could polish off a couple of bourbon sours in Clarke’s Beach at the Duke awaiting the evil twin and his mum.

- a pint of Storm and can you do a bourbon sour?
- Yeah
- Here this – as I give him my mastercard – but it will be on Baird’s tab when he arrives.
- He was here at noon.
- What?
- Yeah he was here with his mother
A cold sweat – not only did I miss the Baird’s but I’ll have to pay lunch and my mum’s bar tab. As luck would have it Baleful the Steward enters for the meal also.

Feel embarrassed, I got the times wrong by not reading the e-mail carefully, race back to Pouch Cove – after stopping at the liquor store for some gin - to apologise to the twin for the twillock that I am.

I headed back for the evening walk – after chatting with the noweworthy sisters who pointed to their noses when the said their name. During the chat they said that I was a Newfoundlander (yeah from Burnt Cove). This time I was going take Nina and the steward – I thought that I would promote her from intern and besides it is a better pun – up to the UC cemetery on the road to Cape St. Francis.

Nina would pull so hard on her lead that the locals thought that I was walking an asthmatic dog. The steward would find all these oh so beautiful photographs that one had to pull on the camera strap to have her keep up.

Once on the cape Nina was let loose – as was the steward – and darted into the woods disappearing for minutes at a time. It was be disconcerting as she is not my dog and am not familiar with her habits. Even though Elke says she returns when Nina isn’t seen I begin to worry. Stopped a couple of times to have her come back only to find her in front of me waiting for me to catch up.

Eventually became more comfortable with her and after a while I could hear her racing by in the underbrush.

Luckily the steward stayed on the road.

Hard to keep focused as there were all these trails that I wanted to take but the cemetery was a good goal and perhaps there would be berries.

Even with the little time here, I wanted to try to build some working method for the day. I was trying to divide the day into threes where selfishly two would be for me and the third for the crew. I was having a hard time accomplishing this.

No berries, the cemetery had been cleaned up, wanted the place more for the fence around it than the graves. Called Nina, gave her one more bribe for coming, attached her lead and headed back. I put her on the lead as I wasn’t sure if she would know that we were heading back – or would want to.

When I was assured that she was fine with the return – I let her off and she disappeared …



I began to worry was the walking nicely a ruse to be let off and thus race toward Biscayan Bay? We started by but then thought that we were falling for her ploy. We stayed in one place hoping that she would and finally she.

Another piece of biscuit, the lead and the walk back. Having given her all the biscuits she was pissed at not having any to munch on for the road.

Back in town dropped Nina off raced back to the place to pick up my digital as Henry – being Henry was up the hill at Terry’s place downing his Canadians.

With the digital and a Keiths went up to give him a hard time before heading back for supper.

No comments: