Tuesday 5 August 2008

a semblance of normality





I was up a bit late and was worried when I walked passed Russ’s place to see it all shut up, the house as well as the shed, headed into town and didn’t find any of the regulars hanging out by the town hall but on my return I did see Henry walking to Bruce’s. He crossed we chatted a bit and went our separate ways. Nice that some things don’t change.

Walked up the main road to Elke’s and noticed that Russ’s building was gone and Henry had painted his house red. Things were getting posh in Pouch Cove. All of a sudden I remembered other “improvements” the exterior improvements to the house at Gruchy’s Hill. The old house by the playground now getting a face lift a new room and new colour. If there was any doubt about money coming to the St. John’s area this was it.

Thanked Elke for the key and said that I would be by later to take Nina on a walk of Cape St. Francis. She said that there was a pot luck that evening and we were all invited to come and that she would leave Nina’s lead on the table when I stopped by.

Ran into Russ who was wondering where I was.
-Told Shirley bets he’s not coming this year.
Then said that he thought he wouldn’t see me again as he was operated on for cancer and it is back. Told him to stop by to meet my mum. Which he did with a head of lettuce from his garden.

Head over to the twin’s to drop off two books when he fills me in on the details of my individual show BK Projects in Kopenhagen come January. Then wants to drive me back so that we can chat.

Trying to get these two into the ways of the Island, we walked into my evil twin’s place in the middle of a dinner party the night that we arrived. No worries only made an entrance to announce that I was in town and headed off to Sullivan’s Loop.

Heading into town to get more provisions showed them how to enter a house by opening the back door and walking in. We used Russ’s place as an example as I had yet to talk to Shirley. A sit down a tour to see the boats he is working on. Then off to St. John’s and provisions.

Went up the hill to Elke’s. Baleful the intern knowing that I was heading there and that there were kittens had t tag along and after pulling herself away from the kittens joined Nina and me a short hour long walk in Cape St. Francis.

I am getting the feeling that most people don’t function the way that I do as I could have sworn that I had mentioned that I was going to take them both to Cape Spear then head back to shop. All it seems that was heard was “shop”. No one was prepared for the outing but by now they should now know to expect everything but I think that they were lull into a state of complacency by the fact that we went first to the organic farm. They didn’t know that I was already tired of Route 20 and was looking for other ways into town.

Heading down Portugal Cove Road I see the tacky Suzuki Esteem wagon turning left and I follow honking my horn worrying the passengers in machine. It was Ray whom it seems is the first person that I see in St. John’s proper when I am here. I throw a couple of books in his machine we chat. He invites us back and we separate. Even he has painted his house.

Decide to give stopping in a pass as everyone is testy not being warned about Cape Spear – it was a 15 minute diversion but Beth comes out to say hello hoping to ease the tension. It seems that only wandering the aisles of Dominion and waiting forever to check out can do that. I needed to buy ingredients for a mulligatawny soup for the pot luck.

There were people from all over who were up here to clean up the East Coast Trail. Was envious of some as a group were going to hike the south coast around François I learned of this after mentioning that I had planned to ferry to the outports that are only accessible by water this time and in the future take the long highways down to other outports. He asked if I wanted to come with them but alas school would be open and I would have to be back in the states.

Left and headed over to the evil twin to discuss something about the show but again the Pipe House was packed and so he ended walking back to Martin and Gabrielle’s.

Stopped in to see mother then asked if I had been to the Duke yet.
-an if I had?
He is going in to George Street for the Current and happy snaps do I or Baleful the intern want to help out. She is keen to sit in the famous corner and my mum is outraged that we haven’t asked her. She had had two cognacs at the house and seemed mellow enough to sit but instead she hopped into the machine and after a 30 minute debate at the Pipe House on who should go in whose machine and who was coming back that evening. The twin and Keith bickering like old men we finally decide the travelling arrangements.

Hate being the driver when I am not alone, could only have one pint – and have decided to change had a Storm – while Baleful the intern asked for a vodka gimlet. When the barkeep stopped laughing he made a whisky sour for my mother and some other drink a little more up to date – I haven’t made one of those since 1986. Then mom wanting to test the patience ordered an irish coffee.

We left when I couldn’t take not drinking anymore – about midnight everyone but the twin and Keith piling into my machine while those two headed down the steps.

No comments: