Monday 11 August 2008

The regatta ran,

it was a great sunny day everyone would be at the pond. Tom had said that the best time was in the morning during the first races as it was more a regatta than a state fair.

So we headed out after I watch Ted and his brother bring in their catch – and marvelled on how anyone could consider this romantic, rowing hard not to hit the rocks, then hearing them grunt in unison for with the pulling of the ropes with the waves to get the boat on the stage, pull up the stage then climb the hill with their 15 cod.

Stopped to say hello to Sam.

By the time I parked and we walked over from the former Wordplay, it was about 11AM.

Still didn’t look crowded in fact it seemed smaller than the last time I was there. Talked and made some snaps of the people heading over – there was a tour in but they weren’t heading over it was the tour guide’s holiday.

There weren’t any crowds in Waterford Bridge Road, none by the Memorial Dominion.
Spotted buddy with his Newfoundland busking at the entry bought a CD.

Thought that it would be a bust for the usual photographs that I like – hints of people not throngs but I really didn’t have too much trouble.

Thought though, that maybe I should broaden my scope in the Current and started making happy snaps. It occurred to me when chatting with a woman whose grandson was on this odd bungee thing.

-It’s the first year for this.
-yeah? Are they from around here?
-are you going to do it?
-I will if you will!

Parting I looked for what I had remembered a lot of people carrying overstuff toys. Found few. I broadened my scope to people carrying things – dogs, children. Still frustrated I started photographing people on the periphery – red cross, vendors – then the actual rowing teams as they walked by.

Reasoning that due to the lack of time here, I shouldn’t put anything off I head to have my Big Zig at Ziggy Peelgoods – but they were only selling regulars. I then kicked myself for not having the food at the Indian tent.

Moment of strangeness when I heard a bayman’s cover of Come Dancing by the Kinks.

It was over pretty quickly, even Baleful the steward was pretty much ready to go.

We headed over to the Battery where I was hoping for some capital formalism but thought it something a first time tourist should see.

It was being tarted up before but now. Met Victor Fleming whose house was beside a great hulking new McMansion. Passed buddy working on a mural on the way to the outer battery lingered in front of Bert Sparkes’s Sea City View but he didn’t appear, the only other person I spoke to was an Ontarian coming home.

It seemed like nothing special but this was the first day that I felt that I was back, mixing with people marling about the streets, I think photographically things went well but I worry in the Battery as property lines make it difficult to make a bad snap.

A walk down Duckworth Street to the post office noticing the irony that I had nothing to send. Then before heading over to Hava Java, a diversion to the south side hills and Fort Amherst. This worked better for me – well it would have if I had taken off the lens cap – this happens all the time with Ziquinho and Ubaldo - tried to retrace my steps. What made this a bit better than the Battery was it wasn’t as aware of itself. There were more things laying about, both places had mops out drying but heading to the fort they were less “properly” arranged.

One snap I wanted, these boots awaiting to be photographed made better by waders around the corner and a chair to balance out things and formal but was on private property.

Hopped over the barrier and headed down into the defences, a melding again of the formal but this time it had more to do with the light. While I liked what I thought I was doing down there it may be more anticipation than reality.

Over to Hava Java so that the steward could have a coffee me, my three juices. Although it was a bit late in the day, this capped the feeling of finally making it back. Sitting allowing time to do nothing.

A diversion on the way back to photograph the pond in Flatrock with the flag in the middle before starting the evening.

The first evening we were able to sit out on the deck, Ted came over offered him a beer
-Keith’s Light?
-Keith’s if you want a light I’ll give you water.
Finishing his beer he headed back to his place then yell over asking if I wanted to stop over for a beer. Went over to explain that I needed to start dinner and thanks but maybe another day. He said that he’d fillet a fish for the group and bring it over to-morrow.

No comments: