Friday 19 January 2007

art dealings - bayman version

Woke up to sea fog. The air was so cold that the fog mimicked the waves in the cove. I heard that the harbour and the Narrows in town disappeared.

Another cold day as it was –11C when I woke up and the temperature was dropping. But the hardest part of the day is bracing for the cold not the cold itself as it hasn’t been all that bad once out in it. I, however, picture it as worse than it is.

The fire had gone out so there was a rush to heat the place and have coffee before heading down to the even colder Pipe House for another trip into town.

The evil twin also decided that it was time to buy firewood and rang a name that he got from over at Bruce’s.

Nope they were out.

??!!!!

Headed across to Bruce’s to ask again and put up a sign. Noticed that the light was out on the Volvo making me wonder why the RNC haven’t stopped me. Out of date tags, broken lights and windscreen.

A typical day at the foundation, there was money being wired from Britain so into town to pick it up and spend it immediately. That was the plan for yesterday but the funds didn’t show up – again a smirk international sales from an outport in the middle of the North Atlantic – this must be making a River North gallery wonder what those baymen have.

Going to the bank is an event parking is impossible in St. John’s as they have more meter patrols than actual policemen. Stopping for any time risks a ticket so I manoeuvre the one way system while Evil Twin heads in. This part of St. John’s makes San Francisco look like Kansas so I am spinning and sliding all over. My favourite courses are the S curves of Prescott Street and the Downhill of Catherdral Street

The funds still haven’t arrived. Just over a century ago Marconi sent a signal across the Atlantic and it seems the TD cannot get it right yet.

We drive behind the video in Rawlins Cross as someone in the area has Wi-Fi – as does the Don Cherry out Freshwater Road, a café in Duckworth Street. Knowledge of Wi-Fi spots in this modern world comes second to good public lavs.

A stop at the Baird ancestral home to pick up and drop off items – and tea and bikkies. I am wondering if I should stop at the old Baird manor and steel some firewood.

More e-mails are sent using the neighbour’s wi-fi.

Out to TJ’s to get the light replaced then over to Future Shop to spend the money before it arrives.

I get wi-fi as a gift for Martin and Gabrielle for letting me stay at Sullivan’s Loop.

- hello
- yes is Martin there?
- no. he won’t be here until… oh … august.
- I’ll call back.

The alcoholic in training looks at fridges.
-get the side by side you can fit two bodies in them if they are thin.

I am over looking at digital cameras as one will be needed if everything turns out – joke with a sales clerk who writes up the wi-fi
-when you leave go up front and let them disengage the security system
-damn I like a good chase
-bruno is pretty fast.
- oh I was hoping for a Glenda
- funny you should mention that –buddy shows me his name card “Glendon”
- I said GlendA
- That happens after I get off.
Back to the office to wait. Both Baird’s Cove and Clarke’s Beach are occupied so we have our Guinnesses between the two.

An awkward moment when the woman who made the shamrock on my Guinness is serving us.

A photograph of Angie’s lawyer.

More e-mails when Terry gets it working again.

He walks over to the bank, I finish my Guinness and then head over with the machine. In one block four meter people. Keep circling when he comes out heading in the opposite direction – down Water Street makes a phone motion with his hands which I don’t understand as I don’t have one. Park in a free zone in Cathedral Street which must dip three feet in the length of a car. Cannot find the parking brake so turn the wheels and hope.

Back at the Duke – which doesn’t surprise anyone – I phone to find that he is now in the opposite direction at Livyers in Duckworth. More slalom driving through downtown.

But there are funds, artists are paid there will be a new bath at the Pipe House, and now how about that camera at Future Shop.

Glendon is still Glendon


-you don’t want to see him as Glenda believe me. One of his coworkers says.

He turns into the type of camera sales person one would find in a loser Camera Shop in South Wabash. Trying to sell the alcoholic in training everything from an extra battery through a case and an extended warranty. It would make that owner of that rat invested shop for the mentally challenged proud.

Finally up to Pouch but not before we stop at the liquor store in the pharmacy to pick up some Guinness in the machine beside us there is a woman fiddling with her digital camera. Mention this in the shop and someone states that she is pretty good.

His die is cast, I go back to the machine to finish him off. Then head out to the machine to photograph her.

I remake a couple of photographs that were a bit over exposed due to the tempermentality of things Swedish.

Tonight is to be the last night of developing film as I have to return the tanks to Ray in the morning.

Set up the Wi-Fi when the phone rings
-may I speak to Paul Kennedy?
- he is not here
- can you take a message
- you don’t realise that he is here only a fortnight a year – less if I have anything to say about it. he won’t be here until July if then.
- The is Rogers wishing to speak to him about updating the internet connexion.
- I take the number..

Head over to the Pipe House to show how the camera works. He is in the process of signing up with Skype and proceeds to phone his living DNA sample who is in Britain.

He likes the movie mode.

I am freezing I come back to make dinner and start the fire as the place is 10C, I need it to be twelve. Developing film is a real experience as I have to heat the tank before I can start.

Back over there where it is now warmer – until I drink the Guinness – and we talk over plans that cannot be divulged until I am a CFA who is away.

Head back over to start to clean and see how the fire is going, thinking that this is precisely the type of day that one has when one lives in a place not when one visits. Again it is made manifest that I am comfortable here and as soon I as am not in a rush it is time to go.

There is a job at Memorial but I would have to grow breasts.

With little time left I should be running all over the place panicking trying to finish stuff but instead I have a day where I only used up three rolls of film – was surprised as I was wandering about without my pullover and as I stated didn’t miss it until I was unloading the machine Baird’s mum rang saying it was at her place.

No comments: