Wednesday 31 January 2007

Digital 1 x film nil

Usually I put off going into the darkroom trying to slow the outpouring of money, and to make sure that I have a rational, systematic approach so that I don’t go and make 30 copies of everything only to have 20 left.

There is also that transition between things inkjet and things silver gelatine that takes some time to come about. Letters can be answered more quickly with an inkjetted postcard than one in which chemical toxins are used.

Once there… I headed down to the basement 12C which isn’t bad for winter. Set up everything for a small printing session, the first two snaps of people met this time, two postcards to reply to those who have written via the post, and another as a return to a more traditional way of sending of messages.

The start is illogical as I don’t do the image that I shall send out first as it isn’t the best, but the one of S. Mulley as it is interesting. Place the neg in the enlarger remarking that even though I was fretting while in Pouch about the quality of the negs, it seems that pyro is very forgiving and all look pretty good – well except the roll where the dev temperature was 12C but they are still printable.

Get out the grain focuser and … reticulation.

RETICULATION!!!

When students ask how to do it I tell them it is impossible with modern films you’d have to boil it then freeze it and even then. Come to think of it… The last time I saw it was when someone used straight acetic acid as a stop bath – after my nasal passages were working again.

This wasn’t my usual thrifty stock of film from countries that no longer exist but Fuji.

But there it was. All over the sky all over everything – how large can I make the snaps before it shows up? Are they all ruined? Shouldn’t I be mature enough for things like this not to happen anymore?

The postcard size print looks fine. I am not in the mood to try my luck to see how large I can make the image before it falls apart, it would be too depressing.

Move on to the next neg, which will be the first to be sent out – Kevin from the Goulds - and cautiously look through the grain focuser. It is fine, so are the next four rolls that I make snaps from.

Still am worried, I know that it is still there somewhere lurking in the other rolls, waiting for the images that I shall want large, making sure it doesn’t happen.
Times like these, those digital SLR's seem might tempting especially now that i could hide the fact with a Leica M8 which I can afford working at the WGAS.

No comments: