Monday 22 January 2007

-See m’boy ...

we’re here at the airport and you still have an hour to go. My good look at the crowds, better hurry and beat that lone person up the escalator to security.
Yeah yeah yeah I deserved this got to the pipe house 15 minutes early not knowing what to expect and here we are in an empty airport.

Say good-bye, we’ll work out things for the show in July. He heads back to Pouch and to sleep.

I was half right as I enter the security area, the lone person everyone jumps up.

- are you taking the Continental flight to New Jersey?
- -yes
- do you mind if we do a more thorough search?
- Nope I was expecting it with the film and all.
Thirty minutes later are having a wand run over me a pat down, an innocuous “tool” taken and having to repack my bags.

I am at the gate with only 10 minutes to spare.

We do chat I show one guard some of my snaps. we talk about birding back yard feeders, the tragedy of outmigration how Danny Williams could save the province and once again there is the culture shock within the Newfoundlander between being their normal decent helpful selves and having to function in a world that isn’t that way and to make matters take orders from a prick president of the land to the south.

-You should stay here. Marry a Newfoundlander.

From the window I can see Stavengar Drive. It looks like we will b e heading south over the city but no we end up turning north tantalising close to one last view of Pouch but then bank over Portugal Cove, Conception Bay, Bell Island, then into the clouds.

They break just past the French colonies, in time to see the south coast, the islands - Ramea etc. and how amazing the land is before they go out of sight.

No comments: