Monday 8 January 2007

Sundays were my splurging days. After Michael Engright, when I didn’t know about Martin’s Convenience in Torbay, I would drive into St. John’s where parking is free, wash my clothes at Mighty Whites and head over to the Bagel for the samosa breakfast. I would then swarve the neighbourhoods as the the city would be relatively empty and those who were about were more willing to chat.

That was the plan. After getting up and now realising that I could use the Leiquinha the way I was going to use the digital the plan was to walk to the north end of the town make some snaps then head into town.

I met a photographer at the party whose work was up in a florists in Rawlings Cross but the shop wasn’t open until noon.

Headed up to Elke’s to see if I could walk with the dog. The dog – as well as Elke – was overjoyed.

-He has to be on lead on the road but once off you can let her go.
She gave me two treats to give to her when we started back.

-She pulls a bit.

A bit!!! No images were going to be made on this walk as I was dragged up Main Road and into the trail to Cape St. Francis. I thought about letting her off the lead then but a quail crossed the trail and she went into overdrive in her pulling.

I had planned on a short walk as I had to ring Ray as it seems that he has a tank for me and I needed to get into the city before the work came down.

- Back already? Oh well at least it was a little walk.

After stopping at the Dominion to drop off the film, I went up to see the work. I had known of her. There were a group of photographers up here who made a postcard book in the 90’s and she was one of them.

The plan then was to photograph. I was going to head over to the area between Mile One Stadium and the Labatt’s brewery. I had Ziquinho as it is easier to use in a city, especially in 80-100k/h winds but it started to rain.

A little rain no problem. It began to rain harder.

How I have mellowed. Simply went out to the Michael’s to see if they had what I needed to make books. Then over to Future Shop as I was missing making postcards – thought about a printer, and looked at digital cameras maybe to replace the digital Diana.

Raining harder. Took a back road back into St. John’s – did I mention that a Sunday ritual also included a couple of pints at the Duke while I read the Globe a day late? – and found myself in some nightmarish suburb that could have been anywhere and would have made Mount Pearl Proud. It was so generically suburban that I forgot where I was. Stopped to make one snap of a house-less patio in the middle of a lot.

Headed east and south still going around Pleasantville. Thought about stopping at Quidi Vidi Lake and again outside the Confederation building as the Christmas deer display running out of the woods looked strange but the rain was picking up. Headed over to the Chapters to stock up on Can Lit – then realised that I would have to put them in my luggage. Odd they didn’t have the Michael Winter’s The Big Why - and to see if there were any Globes left. Bought a Canadian Art instead and headed to my corner at the Duke with a Smithwicks in hand. Outside in Duckworth Street, I passed a lone sou’westered, backpacked tourist facing the wind, trying to make the most of her walk through downtown.

The rain was going to give in so I did two pints later I head to the Dominion to buy some coffee.

-is that the one you usually buy? A baffled older couple in front of the array ask. She drinks coffee he doesn’t nor tea only Pepsi

-French roast, yes. It is dark and helps me keep up my colour.

I took Bauline Line to Pouch Cove Line back being fed up with Route 20 – a good sign, things were becoming normal.

No comments: